Voltage converter


May 15th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 13
Voltage converter

We're traveling to Italy and France next month. What's the best adaptor to buy for cell phones, shavers, nanos, etc.? Do we need special plugs? Thanks.
MarleneK is offline  
Reply With Quote
May 15th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,124
In most department or electronics stores, you can buy a combination plug adapter and voltage converter. That will provide you with the right voltage and will give you the correct plug all in one package. If you have any appliance that draws heavy current, such as a hair dryer, you need to make sure your converter can handle the total power needed. Specialty stores like Brookstone will also handle them.
Wayne is offline  
Reply With Quote
May 15th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 10,072
Most of the items you mention here do not require voltage converters, and I'd actually urge you to NOT bring anything that does. Converters are heavy and don't always work well. Many shavers, most cell phone chargers, and all Apple adapters are dual voltage. You should look at the actual item to make sure before you try to plug it in an ruin your piece of electronics, though.

You will need adapter plugs; any adapters will do---just buy one in the drug store or at Wal-Mart, and Apple makes its own set that plug directly into its transformers, but they are kind of expensive.
doug_stallings is offline  
Reply With Quote
May 15th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,333
This <http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com/elect.htm#adapt> is a pretty good resource if you cannot get adapter plugs locally.
Orlando_Vic is offline  
Reply With Quote
May 15th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22
It isn't just the voltage to consider...

US power is 60 Hz and European power is 50 Hz. Be sure to read the information on the appliance and make certain that it will run on either before you plug it in!
Pheidippides is offline  
Reply With Quote
May 15th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 52
Look at your plug - if it says 120/240 it is duel voltage and you just need a plug adapter (cheap and found anywhere travel stuff is sold). Most phones, cameras and iPods (for sure) are duel voltage.
carolinabelle is offline  
Reply With Quote
May 15th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 19,000
You jackanapes! Varlet! You have besmirched my name, and I will have satisfaction! What is your choice of weapon?

We shall use electricity.

Very well. Until the morrow.

By the way, I searched for "voltage" and found no fewer than 544 threads (not posts, threads back to 2000 C.E.
Robespierre is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:52 PM.