Bringing wine in checked in luggage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a brilliant solution in a magazine called Airballage. A liquid proof and airpadded bag for checked in bottles./Nimma
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 01:32 PM

We usually wrap several layers of clothes around any bottles and then put the wrapped bottles in a plastic bag and use more clothes for padding around the plastic bags. Haven't had any unfortunate accidents yet.
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:23 AM

always iffy...we had a bottle break but thankfully it was wrapped in bubblewrap and a plastic bag. darn those rules about 3 oz for liquids! The Airballage sounds interesting and if it isn't too expensive and you plan on bringing back wine, I'd try it. In fact I'm going to see if I can find it.
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:51 AM

We came back from Scotland with a bottle of hand blended scotch (we had spent the afternoon with the master blender at the Auchentoshen distillery) in one of our bags and it was stolen (just the bottle, nothing else) at Heathrow--and we only worried about breakage.
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:38 AM
TC

We have a couple of these two bottle totes from Built NY. They are wonderful. We've taken wine packed in our luggage all over and its never been broken. Added bonus, once at our destination the tote keeps bottles cold. Great for taking on a picnic or to the beach. The tote packs very flat. Excellent for taking to destinations where we might want to purchase wine.

http://www.builtny.com/showPage.php?pageID=1566#
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:42 PM

I have transported wine and beer bottles many many times on flights without a problem.
We usually carry some bubble or foam type packing wrap for this purpose and also to double as crude coolers. Even without these I always wrap some clothes around them too and wedge them in the luggage in a soft spot.
Your luggage should be a hard side or semi hard side.

Bon Vogage.
Old May 21st, 2009, 06:09 PM

We've never had trouble with wine, although my sister in law once spent her first night in our apartment in Paris (by herself, we were back in Canada) trying to figure out the French instructions for our German washing machine because the bottle of maple syrup she bought for us opened in her suitcase.
Old May 24th, 2009, 06:38 AM

I place my flip flops on either side of the bottle, secure with a rubber band, wrap that with a clothing and secure with duct tape, I then stick the whole thing in a very large zip lock and pack in the center of the bag.

I've never had a breakage problem. Never stolen, maybe because it's too much work for someone to undo for something that may or may not be all that grand.
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:12 PM

Styrofoam shipping containers specifically meant for wine bottles. The only secure way. You can buy them for one bottle up to those for six bottles. Packed this way, your wine bottles will be protected in your luggage. Or you can just slip the styrofoam shipping pack into a cardboard box or just check it in "as is." Make sure you also bring packing tape to secure the styrofoam, and a magic marker for writing on cardboard boxes (in case you decide to use them). The styrofoam wine shippers can be used over and over again, though flimsier ones with thinner walls break down.
We have used this method for at least 15 years. Brought 12 bottles from South Africa to SFO two years ago, had a couple of connections in between, and not one bottle broke.
On another occasion, we packed 18 bottles secured in styrofoam in our luggage, from South Australia to SFO, again, not one bottle broke.
Over the 20 or so trips we have made to wine destinations (most of these to OZ and NZ), not one wine bottle packed in our luggage has broken.
Of course, they take up space in your luggage, so if we know we will be buying wine, we will bring along an empty suitcase, that we can fill up for the return.
On one of our trips, returning from Australia, Qantas at Sydney check-in, insisted that everyone boarding their flight from Sydney to LAX open up their luggage (yes, it WAS chaotic and there were delays)to show how they had packed their belongings, including packed wine. After they saw that our wine was packed in styrofoam they gave us the "okay," at the same time explaining that they had had many problems from improperly packed wine.
Some post offices in Australia and New Zeland, some packing stores, and many liquor stores sell styrofoam wine shipping containers. Major wine retailers in the US and wineries also sell them.
These styrofoam containers also come in handy if you are traveling long distances by car.
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:14 PM

Woops, an embarrassing typo--I meant to write "New Zealand."
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've never brought more than 1-2 bottles. But I just put each bottle into a plastic bag and secure that, then pack it among my clothes, in the very middle of the suitcase.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 05:39 AM

While on Safari, I enjoyed trying Amarulo, and forgot that I couldn't take it home in my carryon. (I also didn't realize that it was actually available at home). In any event, I had success simply wrapping my inflatable seat cushion around it. But if I were actually planning to bring bottles home, I would probably try something more 'professional'.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 02:39 PM

I always bring a bottle or two back I just roll a towel or other clothing around then secure clothing under and around. Never had a problem.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 01:05 PM

Definitely go with the wine bags. Padded and waterproof in case there's breakage. Be careful about weight limits, though. I've had several instances in which I've obtained things while away, making my bag just over the weight limit and resulting in absurd fees.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 11:57 AM

We used 15x17 ziplock bags to protect our xray cassettes from body fluids. Those would probably work nicely to contain spills.........

I like LSky's method~very MacGuyver!!
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 04:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The thread is nearly 3 years old . . . and the OP was probably advertising in the first place

(Never posted again before or after)