Bhutan, Argentina, or Morocco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this will sound like the most directionless post ever but I would really appreciate your help. My 30th birthday will be on November next year and I am DETERMINED to go on a solo trip to ANYWHERE in the world. After some research, I've narrowed down my trip to the following:

1)Bhutan
2) Argentina
3) Morocco

Where is the best place to go? I'm not looking into much hiking and sporty activities. I'd like some cultural immersion more than anything but I wouldn't mind a bit of walk if necessary. Also, I'm female, have NEVER travelled solo although I've done numerous trips with other people in a lot of places. I'm also Asian. Where's the best mix of safety, cultural attractions, and weather for my trip? Also considering Egypt but not sure it's safe given the political situation. Also wouldn't mind going to Africa. Europe is out of the question as I will be going there sometime July with family. Please help!
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 07:17 PM

Haven't been to Bhutan but I would think that a solo trip to Argentina would be perfect.I love Morocco but think that it is best visited in a rental car and also possibly having a travel partner.Argentina is called the Paris of South America for a reason. You have public transportation,great shopping and eating and various cultural and historical things to do. Be sure to go over to the Pink palace on a Thursday afternoon around 2pm to see the "mothers" of the lost children of the revolution.They march with their scarfs on embroidered with their loved ones names on them and the year that they went "missing?". It goes for about an hour and is very moving!
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 03:41 AM

weater2travel.com Bhutan will be cold cheerless expensive

flights next November would give that a pass.

Aregentia will be entering summer head there

www.saexplorers.org/clubhouses/buenosaires discounts info

#2 choice would be seat61.com/morocco train hike the High

Atlas if adventurous did the ultra marathon up there a

few years ago... little dodgier for solo female though.

Might also consider Ecuador had an awesome time last Nov

with [email protected] www.guanguiltagua.com

www.haciendapinsaqui.com

www.bellavistacloudforest.com

www.huaorani.com

www.hosteriamandala.info

www.galavengalapagos.com $600

hike CotoPaxi second tallest mountain in world

measure from center of the earth...

Ecuador truly awesome and adventurous and safe.

Way more ecodense than ANY of your others for me.

Happy Planning!
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 03:43 AM

If it is just about a cultural experience Buenos Aires...
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 06:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Especially because you are going solo, Argentina. I travel alone often and am sure it could be done but don't think of Bhutan or Morocco as the most ideal destinations for going solo.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bhutan is great for cultural immersion and a hiking, but is very expensive. You have to have a guide and car and driver even if you're traveling solo. there is a minimum amount you have to spend each day and it's higher for a solo.

Morocco is a bit more challenging for a solo female than some other destinations. You might consider a tour with an outfit like Intrepid.

I haven't been to ARgentina.

I'd suggest reading trip reports on the relevant forums here, and spending some time with guidebooks.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot guys! It looks like Argentina's winning out of the 3. Might just go there!
qwovadis: Ecuador sounds good too.

Now my problem is I've also started considering Africa. Tanzania and Uganda to be specific. Will that be too risky and too "out there" especially since this is my first time to travel solo?

Also considering Portugal now. Argh. But at least I've scrapped out Bhutan and Morocco haha. It's like one step forward, two steps back. I delete two but add 2 more. Sigh! But what a nice problem no? Haha thanks guys!
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 05:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've never been to Argentina, but I've heard the typical Argentinian described as "an Italian who speaks Spanish and thinks he's an Englishman living in Paris." Might be interesting!

I'd like to suggest Mexico, though, especially the colonial cities in the mountains -- Oaxaca, Guanajuato, Puebla -- an exciting introduction into a very colorful culture. For the brave, Mexico City!
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 10:04 PM

Flight duration time from Sydney to Thimphu is 12 hrs, 7 mins.
flight duration time from Sydney to Buenos Aires is 15 hrs, 20 mins.
flight duration time from Sydney to Casablanca is 23 hrs, 16 mins
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 12:31 AM

I missed this-you are flying from Sydney?
I have "kids" your age who live overseas and travel alot AND I also work for a major US airline as a flight attendant so travel overseas everyweek. I quess that I am putting my mom opinions in here now so hear me out.
If you are a solo female traveler at 30 and you said that you weren't into hiking and outdoor stuff ,I would think that you would want someplace that has great public transportation to get around and that you feel safe. This place would have to offer you a variety of things like restaurants,cultural things like museums and theatre,shopping and also the possiblity of meeting new friends your age.
Pick a great city and then use that as your base for either daytrips out of the city or a connection to another great city-London/Paris;Barcelona/Rome?
Places like Africa are more a tour thing if you are going to be by yourself.
Pick a place that you can project might not have political unrest or problems within the year? Places like Egypt are not doable for a solo at this time so rethink that.
When I was your age(sorry for that?),I did three international trips by myself to New Zealand,Greece and Berlin.I learned alot about myself and traveling.I enjoyed the trips but it made me very independent which has helped me alot in later years.Berlin and Greece were great because I could use the public transportation system along with taxis to get around and see alot. New Zealand required a rental car and alot of flying between the two islands.
Therefore I really suggest you think where you have gone and then
pick a place that is easy to get to and around while being a fun adventure!I would pick any of the major cities in Europe or go to Buenos Aires.If this doesn't make any sense its because I just realized its 3 am!!!!
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 06:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<Tanzania and Uganda ... Will that be too risky and too "out there" especially since this is my first time to travel solo?>

Short answer imo, yes they probably would be.

I've done a lot of solo travel myself, and there's an art to it. You build up more skills with each trip. That's why I'm suggesting starting with something a littlemore mainsteam and less exotic, until you get your "sea legs". Cities of western Europe, Argentina, and Mexico (as mentioned by Fra_D) are all good choices.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, where are you starting from? If it's Australia, southeast Asia would be the obvious choice. Much closer, and VERY easy traveling. If it's the US I'd put in a good word for your Portugal suggestion - click on my name for my Lisbon TR.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Er no, I will not be coming from Sydney. Not sure where TheExpert got that, but I am in fact, nowhere near Sydney I will be coming from Manila, as that is where I am based. I would prefer not to travel around South East Asia, as I've already pretty much traveled around this region already. I'd like something further away.

Hmm, now i think I'd like to go to Argentina OR Portugal OR New Zealand! Once again one step forward, two steps back in this decision making. Are those good choices, given that I am more into history/culture/nice scenery and not into partying/beaches/extreme outdoor adventure?
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 07:51 PM

Have you been to Peru and Bolivia? If not I might look into those as well.
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:42 PM

Consider the time of year and weather. I would prefer to be warmer in the Southern hemisphere than freezing up North.
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks mlgb and Femi.

Femi, do you mean Southern hemisphere as in Southern America or Southern Argentina? Or just Southern hemisphere in general? Thanks
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 05:23 AM

Southern hemisphere in general. So if I were traveling in November, I would rather not go to Bhutan because it would most likely be freezing. It would be spring/summer in Argentina and cool to cold in Morocco depending on your location within the country.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 08:20 AM

quovadis - Did you put in a link to the Galapagos? Confused. Thought you were talking about Ecuador.

Your link:
www.galavengalapagos.com

Was this so good you just had to include it as well? Looks fabulous.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 08:43 AM

OK OK. Yes, Galapagos is off Ecuador and that's why you included it? Sorry, I was just thinking of the Central America part.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 09:29 PM

I too would consider the Southern Hemisphere, November is a good time to travel in some places. As this is your first solo trip, I'd recommend Australia or New Zealand as both countries are very easy for independent travel and you won't have a language barrier. You mention you like nice scenery, there are plenty of scenic places to visit in both countries.

Of the three countries you mention in the op, I would definitely not visit Bhutan in November, it is a great destination but it will be cold in November and you can't travel independently in Bhutan. Morrocco I did not care for and do not wish to return to. Never been to Argentina.

I would avoid most European destinations in November, the days are short and in some countries you will have cold weather. As you live in the Philipines you may not be used to cold weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -