60 year old woman solo travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need suggestions..I am recently single.Had to cancel a trip to Akumal,Mexico because the single supplement was ridiculous.I do not do organized tours,I have always been more independent.I would like to be able to go to Mexico or the Caribbean.Is there a way to try to match up with other women in my situation?
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 04:21 PM
kja

Are you willing to consider traveling solo, even if you don't match up with others along the way? Many of us find solo travel wonderfully self-indulgent and enjoyable. If you're willing to consider it, you might find some useful insights and inspiration in some of the trip reports in this thread:
Goin' solo...nothing like it! (A trip report collection)
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As kja says, there are a lot of benefits to solo travel - I am still doing it in my 70s.

However, if you want a trip to Mexico Conde Nast is running one, although the age range may be younger. Go here and scroll down: https://www.cntraveler.com/package/women-who-travel

That site may be useful even if you are not interested in the trip. If you don't want to pay a single supplement, but want a tour, are you willing to share with another woman who happens to have booked the same trip? If so, companies like Intrepid may work for you. https://www.intrepidtravel.com/us/mexico
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 08:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I am single and go to Mexico twice a year most years. Solo to Puerto Vallarta Mexico. In your age range. I just buy a plane ticket and rent an apartment/condo in Old Town. I go anywhere from 10 days to 1 month (depending what I can get off i'm still working full time).

But i'm not looking to match up with other women. I'm happy to be on my own. Since I return to the same area each trip, i have gotten to know people. Also have online friends either from Fodor's or Trip Advisor and we'll have lunch or drinks when we're in town at the same time.

If you have any interest in PV I can outline everything you'd need and give options for places to stay.

If you want to stick with the Caribbean side you might look at Isla Mujeres (ferry from Cancun). I haven't been (yet) but was recently researching and it looks like another good option for some independent R&R.

I've also gone solo to Hawaii a few times. I like Waikiki/Honolulu on Oahu when I head that direction.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by watsonscotty7024
I need suggestions..I am recently single.Had to cancel a trip to Akumal,Mexico because the single supplement was ridiculous.I do not do organized tours,I have always been more independent.I would like to be able to go to Mexico or the Caribbean.Is there a way to try to match up with other women in my situation?
so I am altering what I am asking...I will do a more adventurous solo trip next year.right now,I just want to go to Mexico near playa.I need to chill.it's been a rough year.what I am asking is a resort that I will be able to find other singles,men or women,to do activities with ,eat with,etc.I'm looking at resorts,they say for singles,but all the reviews are by couples.

​​​​​​

Old Aug 6th, 2019, 11:22 AM

Are you on Trip Advisor? The Playa del Carmen forum there might be more helpful to you.

This post is kind of buried in a not-often-read branch of Fodor's.
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 12:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Now that you've narrowed it down to Mexico -- you probably should post on the Fodors Mexico & Central America forum. Lots of members posts there who seldom venture to 'Travel Tips'.
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 01:52 PM

she already did
Old Aug 10th, 2019, 07:18 AM

I think that what's most important in all areas of our lives as we get older is that we don't simply do things the way our friends, family and culture define. That we become very proactive about checking in with ourselves, take the time to define what our needs are, become aware of what fears are limiting us and address all of that in the choices we make about travel.