Yellow fever vaccine

Search

Yellow fever vaccine

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellow fever vaccine

Just wondering about this. I am a US citizen and will be flying from US to Peru, then Peru to Brazil. Do I need to get the vaccine? Can you tell me a website to receive accurate info about this? THanks
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 12:55 PM

From the CDC site on travel immunizations

Yellow Fever

Requirements: None

Recommendations:
Recommended for all travelers ≥9 months of age going to the following areas: the entire states of Acre, Amapá, Amazones, Distrito Federal (including the capital city of Brasília), Goiás, Maranhão, Mato Grosso, Mato Grosso do Sul, Minas Gerais, Pará, Rondônia, Roraima, Tocantins, and designated areas (see Map 3-19) of the following states: Bahia, Paraná, Piauí, Rio Grande do Sul, Santa Catarina, and São Paulo. Vaccination is also recommended for travelers visiting Iguassu Falls. Update: The Brazil Ministry of Health has recently expanded the list of municipalities for which yellow fever vaccination is recommended in the four southeastern states of São Paulo, Paraná, Santa Catarina, and Rio Grande do Sul. For details, see In the News: Yellow Fever in Brazil.
Not recommended for travelers whose itineraries are limited to areas not listed above, including the cities of Fortaleza, Recife, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador, and São Paulo (see Map 3-19).
Vaccination should be given 10 days before travel and at 10-year intervals if there is on-going risk. Find an authorized U.S. yellow fever vaccination clinic.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 05:35 PM

2 reasons to get a vaccination:
1) to protect yourself aginast the disease
2) to protect folks in a second country when entering from one that has an outbreak

I believe you legally need a vaccination in order to enter Brazil coming from Peru. Whether the specific border agent actually checks to see if you have the vaccination record is another question, one that no one can answer until you actually arrive.
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 01:46 AM

travel.state.gov entry requirements.
mdtravelhealth.com for health risk

No recent tourist cases of YF
Not needed unless doing lots of
deep jungle usually.

BUT Required to cross borders from Peru to Brazil.
Usually get mine cheaply at airport clinic in LIM $20

Or tell your MD you are allergic to eggs you can skip the jab and get the waiver it will work fine to cross boerders with too.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

We are flying between the countries (Cuzco-Rio). It doens't look like we are required to get it. Good info - thanks.