2-3 Week Itinerary in Peru and Brazil

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always wanted to hike the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, so I started planning a trip to Peru. After doing more research, I'd really like to expand my trip. I looked into Lake Titicaca and Colca Canyon as places to visit in Peru, but feel like I might enjoy traveling to Brazil instead. Essentially 1 week in Peru including hiking the Inca Trail and exploring Cusco, then flying through Lima to Rio. I'd like to spend 3 days in Rio, a few days it Igauzu Falls, and then am wanting to include a beach town (not sure which one). Is this too much to fit in? Is it adding too much to the budget? I've heard brazil can be pretty expensive. Also, it's only 2 girls traveling, is it safe?
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 01:50 PM

I have only been to Brazil very briefly so can't really comment on that country but I do think that, with the time you have available your plan A was better. There is so much to see and do in Peru that a week isn't emough to do anything other than scratch the surface. Brazil is one of the more expensive countries in South America and flying between countries is VERY expensive. Peru has seen rising prices over recent years but is still very cheap by European and US standards.

2.5 weeks is a decent amount of time to see the many highlights Peru has to offer. As long as you take the normal precautions ( basically trust no one! ) and read up on any travel advisories then Peru is as safe as most countries. I have heard horror stories about Brazil but how many of these are based in fact I really don't know.
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 05:44 AM

I would advise staying in one country or the other. Each is worth a dedicated trip and Peru seems to be where your travel dreams are centered, so leave Brazil for the next time and plan more time to see the country more thoroughly.
Brazil is fine for 2 "girls" traveling (supposing you are actually grown women, whose choice of vocabulary infanticizes and trivializes them, and not pre-pubescent children)who have a reasonable amount of street sense/experience in cities.
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 08:48 AM

My wife and I just got back from 2 weeks in Peru (Machu Picchu), Argentina (Iguazu Falls) and then Brazil (Rio). Great time; lots of interaction with locals. While Peru was our favorite, seeing more than one country is a plus. Recommend you do it if possible. They are all different and uniquely enjoyable countries. We used Peru For Less for all our coordination and they were outstanding. The logistics can create challenges. You don't want a lot of "down time" when on limited travel time. A Peru rail strike, and an Argentina entry permit problem were our surprise events that Silvana Zavala, Heidy Aspilcueta and their agency solved for us much quicker than I could. Even so we "lost" almost a day on these unexpected events. Like you, safety was a concern for us since we like to do some exploring on our own. PFL recommended good hotels in safe convenient locations. We were careful, but we felt safe all the time. You will enjoy South America - great people with a proud history.
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 09:47 AM

"Seeing more than one country is a plus" but a couple of days in Rio doesn't qualify as "seeing" a country as large, varied, and with so much to offer as Brazil.
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 12:27 PM

I see Silvana is still hard at work soliciting her clients to post on travel forums. Silvana, why were your clients "surprised" by the Argentina entry fee? Was this the first trip your office planned outside of Peru?

To the OP I also would sticking to a single country with only 2 weeks. And a week is not enough for what you want to do in Peru. With 3 weeks you could probably do both.
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 05:07 PM

There is a difference between wanting to explore two countries in two weeks and seeing specific places. The OP has a fairly specific itinerary in mind. She mentions 2-3 weeks. I think she has plenty of time to do what she says.

Some of us think in terms of visiting places, not countries.
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 06:22 PM

Yes, if it's Friday this must be Iguaszu.

It can take you something like 24 hours and $500 just to fly one way from Cusco to Igu.

Hope it's worth it!
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 06:37 PM

A post worthy of the European Forum.
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 09:20 AM

I am a Brazilian (living in Sao Paulo) and I have been to Peru three years ago. My suggestion is to focus in one country at this time and don't leave with that awful feeling that you missed great places. My itinerary was: 5 days in Lima (so inexpensive and amazing food), flight to 5 days in Cuzco and from there I took the train to Puno (2 nights) to see Titikaka Lake.

Next time when you travel to Brazil I recommend Parati, a lovely city between Rio and Sao Paulo.
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 03:34 AM

Hey, apologies but this message isn't going to be incredibly helpful, but i am actually looking at booking a very similar trip (albeit, possibly in September) and wondered how you were getting on with your planning?

I have sent quite a few feeler enquiries out but am have also been looking at flight scheduling.... if you haven't already you might want to consider the LAN or ONEworld S.A airpasses, For example, check http://www.lan.com/en_us/sitio_perso...ass/index.html

Its really useful for getting estimated costs for flying between the destinations (which, like me, will be required given the limited time available for travel) , the only bus section i'm considering is between the falls at BA or between the falls and Rio. (still about 18-24hours)

So yea, have you managed to make a decision on your schedule yet? sticking with Peru or going to include some of Brazil?

Paul, by the way.
Hey.