Rio and Yellow Fever jabs

Dec 31st, 2002, 05:17 AM
marc horsebox

Rio and Yellow Fever jabs

can somebody please advise:
i have read conflicting accounts on whether or not travellers to rio (from London)need a yellow fever jab or not. Obviously I do not want to get one unless completely necessary.
Also, I am travelling to the USA immediately after Rio - i remember reading somewhere that visitors to the US who have been in a "Yellow Fever Country" will be refused access without a YF certificate. The US embassy are (bizarrely) unable to say whether this is correct. Can anyone advise? Thanks.

Dec 31st, 2002, 06:10 AM
Joaquim

I doubt if it is correct, I am American and go to Brazil 2 x a year and never had a problem getting back home and I have had no yellow fever shots.

Dec 31st, 2002, 03:13 PM
shots

You might be well advised to get a yellow fever shot if you were spending a long time in the Amazon jungles. My husband and I had the shot before a trip to the Venezuelan interior. I learned later that it's a "live virus" shot and that a few people can have a severe reaction. So yellow fever vaccination shouldn't be taken lightly.
Also, you might want to check with the CDC website, but my memory is that Brazil is not considered a yellow-fever endemic country. So you shouldn't have trouble getting into the U.S. I live in the U.S. and traveled to and from Brazil several times before getting my yellow fever shot.

Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:35 AM
marc horsebox

Joaquim -By the same token I assume that by your reply you have never had trouble entering Brazil without a jab? To quote Lonely Planet guide to Rio:
"A yellow fever vac...is strongly recommended...the authorities will not grant entrance, especially to Amazonia, without it." Obviously I want to make sure - would hate to be denied entry upon arrival.

Jan 2nd, 2003, 09:46 AM
Joaquim

Marc, that's correct, I have had no shots and I enter the U.S. and Brazil with no problem.

Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:20 AM
Kim

Vaccinations are not required, but are recommended if visiting rural areas for yellow fever and also Malaria.

Jan 5th, 2003, 04:18 AM
Bill

No shot, no problem. Certain states in Brazil are designated as YF endemic and RDJ is not one of them. Sao Paulo state is, I was surprised to see. Info from CDC web page. But, I went to RDJ in Nov. and SP in Dec. Travelled to/from USA and both places and to/from Buenos Aires and SP. Never had any question about YF.

Jan 5th, 2003, 05:48 AM
marc horsebox

thanks all.