Brazil Safety/health

Old Oct 25th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brazil Safety/health

Hi I am considering to travel to Brazil in February 2009. I will be travelling with a group. Destinations, among others, include Rio and Igauzu falls. Would appreciate feedback on safety and health concern in Brazil. is it safe to walk alone in Rio, on the beach? Can I walk alone to the supermarket? Do I need to get the yellow fever vaccine? is there still a deunge fever epidemic? thanks for your advice!
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 02:05 PM

My understanding is that the yellow fever vaccination is not necessary in Rio or most of the coastal area. I only had one because I went to Minas Gerais. Check with your doctor to be sure.

There's a lot of scare mongering about the safety issue, but you do need to be careful. I was advised to take minimum cash with me. You could certainly walk to the shops on your own or on the beach.

We stayed in Botofogo which is less touristy and it felt fine in terms of safety. If I went again I'd probably stay in the historical centre or Sainta Teresa as I'm not that interested in the beaches.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 03:13 PM

I read on the CDC site that there have been several confirmed cases of yellow fever in the province where Igauzu Falls is located.

Personally, I'd get the vaccine.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 01:01 AM

We are going to Brazil next year too. As far as I can find out, even if you are not worried about contracting yellow fever, both the USA and Australia require a certificate of vaccination before they let you back in, if you have been to a yellow fever area in the last 10 days. The Amazon and Iguacu are both designated yellow fever areas, and several cases have been reported in Rio too in the last year or so.
Just imagine getting home, and having to go in to expensive quarantine for 10 days or so! No, thanks. I'm getting the vaccine.

From what I've read, walking alone on the beach, you'll be pestered by touts and possibly would-be suitors, but probably not attacked on the beach in broad daylight. Perhaps someone from your tour could join you.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input! Carrabella - I have not heard that regarding the yellow fever requirement. The CDC (center for disease control) recommends a yellow fever vaccine but it is not required. Brazil doesnt require it either.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 12:19 PM

Returning to Australia from Brazil, no one asked to see my vaccination certificate. If there's a rule, they don't enforce it with any rigor.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Dear, I live in rio and we dont have yelow fever here. I had to take vacine cause I went to Tailand and now I will go to India. I never heard about yellow fever at Iguaçú Falls but if someone is talking, I think you should take it but Brazil doesnt oblige. About dengue fever , last summer we had an epidemy but it was concentrated not in the tourist area. I live in Copacabana and we had just a few cases. But if you wants to explore forest, we have a lot, I think you have to take some cautions using paints, socks and insect repelents.
About the safe, Rio is exactly as any other big city in the world, even your city. You just have to pay attention and avoid using jewells and lots of money on you pocket.Its perfect safe to walk alone at beach or streets during day and night, just avoid dark places.
Any other info contact me.