Mendoza in 1 day, Can it be done?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 24 hrs in Mendoza. Not really into touring wineries. Thinking of taking a cab to a winery in Maipu for tastings and lunch. Beyond that do we have enough time to see Mendoza. We will be arriving from Buenos aires at 9am and have the whole day, spending night in Mendoza. If not I can take a day off from Somewhere else, for example do 4 days in Buenos Aires, or remove Montevideo. I would really appreciate your help. Thanks Vic
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 11:33 AM
RSS

Mendoza is a waste of time. If you are thinking Tuscany or Napa it is nothing like that. Flat, nothing to see except going to winery. Unless you get a guide and drive 90 minutes to the Andes and hike. I would say skip it!!
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, we are passing through on our way from Buenos Aires to Santiago. Way to break up the trip. Looking at just visiting San Martin Park and Plaza Independence. Thanks for your advice. Thought we may be missing out.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 08:43 PM

i feel that I would not spend time in such a short visit to Mendoza. i would not think it makes any sense to
fly to a place to see a nice Park, like many around the world , the only notable differences I can remember are
the mountains way back in the horizon and some kind of old beautiful iron gates (fence), and Plaza Indepencia, except being very large is , in my memory, totally unattractive. nothing special at all.
These thoughts are valid to me, may be you will feel totally different. but s ince you are asking about your plans....I would consider going to Mendoza, minimum for a few days stay, and focus on visiting some wineries, there are over 900 wineries, and some are really beautiful haviing in the back the majestic Andes.
Tasting the local wines also makes sense to be , they are very good. also food is good. A few wineries have restaurants in situ.
Treaking in the mountains with a guide, or doing any of several organized phisical activities also would justify a visit.
There are a few nice hotels besides well known Plaza Hyatt, for instance the Excecutive Hotel . good luck.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 04:20 AM

Hello I wish to appologize because I forgot that inside the Park, called Parque Libertador San Martin, there is an amazing cerro, or hill displaying an stunning monument with many
parts and sculptures called Monumento al Ejercito Libertador,a tribute to San Martin's army.
San Martin a National Hero in Argentina, liberated also Chile and Peru from Spanish colonialism.

I read a little more about the park gates I have mentioned in my previous post, they are located at the West end of Avenida Emilio Civit, coming into the park and forged in France they are a master piece of filigree iron work.These gates were originally forged for a Turkish Sultan. who placed the order in Paris but did not buy them .

The Cerro de la Gloria is the highlight of this 420 hectare park designed by Charles Thays who is a famous French park designer that at the end of the XIX century designed many parks and gardens in Argentina.

Does this park with it famous monument merits a one day stay in Mendoza>? Not to me, but it might to some.
Plaza Independencia, I find it very hard to find it worth of any interest.

But again that is how I feel, both the Park and the Plaza might be seen in a different light by other visitors.
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 05:31 AM

Mendoza in one day can definitely be done, although I think the city deserves more than one day!

If you are not too keen on wine, then skip the wine tours (although they are great), and take a city tour. A huge orange bus leaves from Plaza Indepedencia every hour after 2p.m. This tour will take you through the city, Parque San Martin, definitely worth the time, and to Cerro de la Gloria which gives you an amazing view of the city. I would also recommend walking to Plaza Italia, Plaza Chile and Plaza Espania, all within a 4 block radius of Plaza Independencia. It you are in Mendoza in the next few weeks you will make it for Vendmimia thus giving you a plethora of activities to enjoy. Great restaurants can be found on Belgrano and Aristides.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 06:43 PM

RSS

I live with an hour of Napa, and have all my life.

Mendoza is not Napa, thank God. Mendoza might be like Napa about 40 years ago, which was pretty nice.

I found Mendoza to be wonderfully refreshing. Much less commercial and open. As long as one has reservations to the winery, a good time can be experienced by everyone.

I spent four days in Mendoza about 3 years ago, and had a great time. Great lunches at wineries, and great wine tasting. My wife and I now drink our share of Malbec, a nice wine to discover.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 07:34 AM

I agree Mendoza can be very nice destination for a 3/4 days visit.