Search

voltage plug points in peru and brazil

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2011, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
voltage plug points in peru and brazil

Hi ,

I am travelling to peru and brazil (rio) this weekend. I was planning to carry my digital camera and an Ipad (bought in the US) . Would my chargers work in SA? Would I have to purchase some sort of convertor?

Thanks
Sid
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 06:45 AM

As Footprint guides have detailed, the sockets in Brazil are "Generally 110 V 60 cycles AV, but in some areas 220 V 60 cycles. Sockets also vary, often combination sockets for twin flat and twin round pin."

As for Peru, "220 volts AC, 60 cycles throughout the country, except Arequipa (50 cycles). Most 4- and 5-star hotels have 110 volts AC. Plugs are American flat-pin or twin flat and round pin combined."

Carefully review your camera and iPad details!

Enjoy your travels,
Peru For Less
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 09:43 AM

Your charges should work (I can say definitely for the ipad, but it depends on which kind of camera battery charger you have); most chargers for electronic appliances are dual-voltage. You will, however, require a plug adaptor. Apple sells a set that works almost everywhere (though they would work only on your ipad charger), or you can probably borrow one from your hotel or just buy one while there. You can buy plug adaptor kits at the airport duty-free stores.
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 11:13 AM

I have absolutely no technical knowledge about these questions, but I can just tell you that I was in Peru in October and used my ipad charger and my camera charger (actually 2 cameras, my tiny Canon and my husband's big fancy one). In all the hotels we just plugged the chargers directly into the wall socket - the plugs fit without the need for adaptors and they worked fine.
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 11:19 AM

Just have to add- make sure you have lots of memory because the scenery is just so breathtakingly beautiful. My husband ran out of memory on Macchu Picchu because he took so many pictures on the train-ride up the mountain. Have a wonderful time.
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 02:25 PM

magellan.com apc.com. I power condition convert and insure all expensive electronics lots of brown outs Apple products
in particular are theft magnets.I leave all I can at home
so no worries.
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the replies