power converter

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 119
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power converter

I'm looking to buy a plug and power adapter that will work in Budapest, Rome and Paris. Does anyone have a particular item that they recommend for traveling through those areas? We're hoping to find something fairly compact and budget friendly, as well. Thanks!
copper675 is offline  
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 11,421
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What devices do you plan to use? The need for a power converter as well as the type depend on that info.

J62 is online now  
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 119
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
J62- we are taking a hair dryer and an electric razor. Also, we'll need to charge the camera battery during the trip.
copper675 is offline  
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 36,153
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Check your battery charger rating as most are 110-240 and don't need a converter. If you buy one, get one that switches from high to low automatically and rated 0-2000w. Use your hair dryer on low. Look at the Franzus 2000 auto adjust on this link. You should be able to buy this cheaper at Walmart/Kmart under the Travel Smart brand
kybourbon is offline  
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,421
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Paris, most hotels have an outlet in the bathroom for electric shavers.

And, many hotels provide blow dryers - though the ones attached to the wall and have a hose take forever and longer hair tends to get caught in the motor.

Either check your hotels for blow dryers, or bring a dual voltage model and the appropriate plug adapter. Converters are heavy and expensive and generally just do not work with anything that heats up or has a motor.

Dual voltage blow dryers are available at all the drug and discount stores inexpensively. They work just fine - though typically will only turn on with the low setting (which is just like high at home) once you've switched the voltage.

As for your camera battery charger, check the white/raised print on it. Most are dual voltage these days, so all you need is a plug adapter. Otherwise, buy one that's dual voltage.
djkbooks is offline  
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 74,699
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi C,

Good advice above.

All you will need is a plug adapter.

ira is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Australia & the Pacific
Sep 17th, 2007 04:39 PM
Jun 19th, 2006 09:56 AM
May 8th, 2003 10:35 AM
Feb 21st, 2003 10:25 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -