Electric

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric

I have US equipment, laptop, video camera, digital camera, etc, can I plug directly into an Australian outlet or do I need a special adapter? The US has three prong plugs that can handle 110 volts.
Thanks.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 08:26 AM

Australia has 220v, so unless you have a transformer or your equipment is both 110/220, you're going to destroy your stuff by plugging it directly into a socket, even with the 3-prong adapter.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

So I should buy a transformer then when I'm in Melbourne, any ideas where? name of store?
Thanks a mil!
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 10:28 AM

I was in Australia last month. I took an adapter and a converter with me (you need both). However, I blew my converter because I left my hair straightener plugged in too long. After that, I borrowed power converters from the hotels. Every hotel we stayed in had converters to borrow or purchase. The purchase prices were ridiculous, but there was no charge to borrow them. Maybe you should try to call your hotels to see if they provide power converters on a loan basis.

Don't forget to use both!! If you just plug something in with an adapter, you will blow your electronic device and maybe get a little shock in the process.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 12:01 PM

Katie's answer is not altogether correct.

Most US electronic gear (laptops, cell phones, Blackberries, digital cameras, etc.) have 110/220v power packs/charges. You can check the "fact plate" on the back of the charger/power pack. If is says something like "Power Input 110/220V, 50-60 Hz" your power pack/charger has dual voltage. If it just says something like "Power Input 110V, 50-60 Hz" then you have a single voltage item.

If the fact plate shows the dual voltage rating all you need is a plug adapter to charge or power your particular item.

If you only have a single 110 volt rating item like an electric razor, hair curler or hair dryer (note some hair dryers have a dual voltage switch) you will need a Power Converter/transformer. Note, high power items such as hair curlers or hair dryers can draw a lot of amps (power) regardless of whether or not they are dual voltage or use a transfermer which is the reason katie encountered some problems

Once you determine your "power rating" you can buy everything you need before leaving the US in places like Radio Shack.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 02:07 PM

No, you buy a converter in the US, not in Australia. After all, why would an Australian need a power converter? Once we left ours behind and tried to find one in the UK, and it was impossible. You can buy one converter with multiple adapters and use it in whatever country you're in.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 03:39 PM

The items you mention are usually dual-voltage, but as suggested make sure by checking the label or user manual.

You'll definitely need an adapter for your plugs, though, as Australian outlets have a different pin configuration - see www.kropla.com/electric2.htm. They're readily available.