Recharging digital camera/ will we need special adaptor for power source

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When in Italy we will need to recharge our digital camera. Is this possible with charger we use here in Texas? or will we need some type of AC adapter?
Is this usually available in hotels in italy?
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 11:51 AM

What does your instruction sheet say about electrical input? Or look at the nameplate on the device. Post back with:
- voltage
- Hz
- amps

Those devices are never available in hotels. You need to buy whatever your equipment requires in the USA.

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some chargers are US only and will say something like 110v 60hz. Others are "autoswitching" and will say something like 100-220v 50-60hz. If you have the second kind, all you will need is a plug adapter, but if it is the first kind, you will fry it if you plug it into Italian electricity.

Since cameras are made in one place and are then sold around the world, many will come with an autoswitching charger, but if yours doesn't, you may be able to purchase a European charger from the camera's manufacturer.

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, I also should mention that some cameras allow replacing the rechargable battery with ordinary disposable batteries, although they are often expensive litium ones. This may work for you as a short run solution.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:39 PM

I have a question somewhat the same. I have a electrical converter that I can plug into the car lighter or charger and then charge an ipod or computer. Will that work the same in Europe as the US?
I assume the car batteries are the same so it would work.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 03:50 PM

bookmarking
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 04:21 PM

This is a pretty common question among travelers. The two things you need to keep in mind about electricity and devices when traveling are the voltage and the shape of the plug.
VOLTAGE
Standard voltage in the US is 110 (though you may also have 220 lines for large appliances like washing machines.) In other parts of the world the standard voltage may be different - for example, in Italy and most of Europe it is 220 volts. Some devices can handle 220, some cannot. Somewhere on the device (and the literature that came with it) will be listed the voltage range. It will say something like "Input 110v" or "110-240v". If the former then plugging it in to a 220 line would fry it unless you use a voltage converter (see below). If the latter you can plug it into a 220 line using an adapter.

VOLTAGE CONVERTER is a usually clunky device that changes the "strength" of the voltage from 220 to 110. Some converters have multiple plug configurations built in, or you may need to use and adapter (see below) to plug in the converter, then plug your device into the converter.

ADAPTER PLUG is what you use in order to plug in your US device (two parallel flat blades, sometimes with one blade wider than the other) into a socket of another shape. Exact shape can vary between and even within the same country. An adapter does NOT change the voltage, only the shape of the plug. Plugging your 110v only device into a 220v outlet with only an adapter but no converter will destroy it. Unless you are certain that your device can tolerate the voltage in the country you are visiting do not plug it in using only an adapter.

Some devices (hair dryers, etc) are dual voltage, and have a switch that you flip to change from 110 to 220v. You still need an adapter to make the plug fit into the socket in the country you are visiting. Sometimes these devices perform differently on different voltage - for example, a blow dryer might run hotter on 200v.

I'm sure that any electrical engineers out there in Fodorville will cringe at this gross simplification, but it is pretty much what you need to know. If you have a particularly expensive or delicate device, check the information that came with it or with the manufacturer before traveling to be absolutely sure.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

thanks Seamus...good explanation
Our Sony Camera is good for the 240 voltage but only has an " american" type cord to plug in outlet. It is interchangeable to other cords
now, where do I get the other cord ? any ideas....
grazie!
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 05:37 PM

If your appliance nameplate reads 110-220V or similar, all you need is a <u>plug adapter</u>.

eBay <b>europe adapter</b> if your local Wally World doesn't have any.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 05:42 PM

You don't need a new cord, jut a plug adapter. It fits over the blades of your US plug.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 05:53 PM

If you're only going to continental Europe (not UK), this is all you need. $2.99 from Radioshack. You may find a cheaper one at a dollar store too.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2104181
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:45 PM

In response to the question whether the charger will work in your Euro rental car, it will. I've used mine in England, Italy, France, Croatia, Ireland, Wales, Hungary, well, you get the picture. The car seems to be the same.
BTW, I bought a charger in Italy. It charged more quickly than the ones I've purchased in the US and took along. Just a thought.