Notices

charging digital camera batteries

Old May 28th, 2002, 12:37 PM
chris

charging digital camera batteries

i have read that people have had problems with dual voltage curling irons/hair dryers (burning hair, blowing out all electricity in the hotel)---i was wondering if people have similar problems with battery chargers or if these seem to be ok.
thanks.

Old May 28th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Kathy

I had no problems recharging my digital camera batteries. I used an outlet outside of the bathroom (usually picked one where a lamp was plugged).

Old May 28th, 2002, 01:50 PM
greg

The dual voltage equipment, to the extent they are designed for, works as designed, with a correct plug adaptor, provided that the user followed the correct usage instructions. No dual voltage equipment will protect you from blowing a breaker at hotel if you are supposed to flip voltage selection switch but didn't.

Battery chargers, if it came with a recent high price electronic products, are USUALLY dual voltage, even automatic sensing. To verify this, look at the charger. You want to see 220-240v, 50hz included in the range of operation for operation in Europe. If the product is from US, it should say something like 110-240v, 50-60hz. In addition, you need to know if the charger is automatic voltage sensing or manual. If manual, there is a small switch somewhere to tell the charger you will be using the 220-240v plug.

Finally, you need a correct plug adaptor.

Old May 28th, 2002, 02:01 PM
Carmenr

We also had no problem recharging our digital camera batteries in Paris last month. However, be sure the outlet you use is not switched off when you leave the room or it well not recharge.

Old May 28th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Bill

Target, Kmart and Walmart all sell sets of outlets for most countires for between $20-25. They come with the appropriate converter to handle the high voltage. The $10 version does not have the converter. I never had a problem with recharging my camera or shaver.

Old May 28th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Bill

oops, not outlets, but plug adaptors. Some overly sensitive wannabe English major might have gone crazy.