Reload this Page >

Canon Elph 200 Battery Recharger Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 08:15 AM
Jennie

Does anyone have any experience with taking this type of camera to Europe? Specifically, I'm wondering if I will be able to use the the battery recharger that came with my camera safely. I have a prong adaptor set, but do I need something to convert the electrical current or whatever? I keep seeing references to &quot;dual voltage&quot;, but as I am a total techno-idiot I'm not exactly sure what it means. Compounding that is the fact that I just got this for Christmas and so am not yet totally familiar with the camera/accessories. I did a search, but didn't find anything really specific to my particular camera/recharger. <BR><BR>Can anyone out there shed any light on this for me? I sure would appreciate it.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance,<BR>Jennie

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 08:23 AM
flygirl

if it actually is dual voltage, there should be a switch to turn it over to the other voltage.<BR><BR>if not, don't plug it in, you will fry it.<BR><BR>if you are not going for a very long time (a week) you should be OK with the batteries you have unless you really are a photobug or use your preview too much. (the preview function really eats the charge)<BR><BR>definitely check with a camera store for your options though.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 08:56 AM
Gretchen

I was able to plug a battery recharger into the electric shaver plug in the bathroom. Be real careful and get good advice before you plug it in--needless to tell you I know.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 09:25 AM
Wendy

I took my Elph to Paris last year and plugged the recharger into a converter that I bought at a travel store then into the wall. I had no problems. Took 2 batteries so one was always charging and one was in the camera.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:06 AM
jules

Jennie:<BR>That charger (like almost all chargers for digital cameras, camcorders and laptops these days) works on any voltage, from 100 to 240 volts, and on 60 as well as 50 cycles (Hz).<BR>The only thing you need is an adapter plug, from flat to round pins.<BR>Radio Shack sells them for $ 2.49 (catalog # 980-0444), online as well, if you have no store in your area.<BR>I guess that is what you mean with a &quot;prong adaptor set&quot;, so you are all set.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:09 AM
Paul S

First, I absolve myself of all responsibility if someone reads this and proceeds to blow up, melt, ignite, or otherwise cause &quot;issues&quot; with their gadget. <BR><BR>From the user's guide (downloaded from Canon), the specifications for the Battery Charger (model CB-3AH) is dual voltage. All you need is the simple plug adaptor to convert the North American style plug (flat prongs) to the European style (round pins). <BR><BR>For future reference, &quot;dual voltage&quot; means that the item can work with either 110 (USA) voltage or 230 (Europe) voltage. Most electronics equipment today (digital cameras, laptops, etc.) are dual voltage. The key is to look on the charger/power supply for something that says &quot;Rated Input&quot;, &quot;Input Voltage&quot;, or the like. If it is dual voltage, it will say 110-240 V AC (50/60 Hz). Some items, especially cameras and laptops, will automatically switch between them. Other items, such as some electric razors and desktop computers, have to have a switch flipped. If in doubt, your local travel, photo, or electronics shop should be able to know if you bring in the item, the power supplies, and the manual(s).<BR><BR>As a word of caution, I have heard that using a standard travel transformer can cause problems for computer type equipment due to the method used to change the voltage. Depending on the &quot;intelligence&quot; of a battery charger, this could be an issue.<BR><BR>From the photography side, be sure to spend lots of time &quot;practicing&quot; around home to get used to the camera and how it works before your trip.<BR><BR>Of course most of all, enjoy your trip,<BR>Paul

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 12:49 PM
Jennie

Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you all! I appreciate each and every reply. I knew the people on this board would know! =0)<BR><BR>Thanks again,<BR>Jennie