San Gimignano - Loop Walk

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a number of websites (primarily tour company) I have seen reference to a loop walk starting (and ending) in San Gimignano. I think they refer to it being around 8 km.

I would love to hear from anyone who has done walking in this area. A walk through the vinyards as a loop, or to a local restaurant or winery sounds inviting (something involving 2 to 4 hours of walking).

I look forward to your comments (any references to maps or directions would also be appreciated).

Thanks
Larry
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 09:14 PM

I think there are a number of walks in the area. When we stayed in San Gimignano last fall, I recall seeing a brochure at our hotel that was about walks or hikes in the area.

When we were there, we took the following walk, which was not a loop, but I suppose could be made into one (though I don't know how). It was to visit the ruins of a fortified village of the middle ages, called Castelvecchio. (try googling it, and you should find some pictures of it) The ruined village, and the walk to get to it, is located outside San Gimignano to the southwest (though more south than west). To get to the beginning of the walk, we drove south on the road from San Gimignano to Volterra, and parked in San Donato, a tiny hamlet (as I recall, only a couple of km from San G.). We then walked south about .1 mile on the road to a sign marked Cammogio; the sign also indicates that it’s the path to Castelvecchio. It was pretty, remote, and took us about 35 minutes back, and a bit longer to get there, as it was mostly uphill. (FYI, we're very athletic, regularly hike in the Rocky Mts in the US, and walk pretty quickly.) The route was up and down, and some parts were steep with loose rocks, though the beginning was on a rough (four-wheel drive) road. But to arrive at the ruins, in the middle of the forest, was magical and just a bit creepy. The fortress at the front, and the church at the rear, are the most still-together (reconstructed by volunteers, possibly?), with walls and bits of wells for many buildings. It was a memorable walk. The signage to Castelvecchio also indicated that you could take the path further, past the cut-off for the ruins.

There's also a book you could consult, Walking and Eating in Tuscany and Umbria, by James Lasdun & Pia Davis. My older edition of this book describes a "San Gimignano ring walk," that goes through San Donato, but does not seem to go to Castelvecchio. If I tried to follow the directions in this book, I'd be lost for days!
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Any more suggestions?
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 03:51 PM

TOG:

Regarding Lexma's suggestion, San Donato and Castel Vecchio...en route from San Gimmy on the Volterra highway toward San Donato and the Castel...on the left side of the road, there is a gravel driveway leading to the Hotel Pescille...we've stayed there and the vineyards surrounding the restored farmhouse make for interesting walking...therefore, perhaps on your way back from San Donato, you'd want to pull off at the Pescille and take the circuitous walk through their vineyards with marvelous views of the Manhattan skyline of San Gimmy. We did that several years ago and enjoyed it very much.
Stu T.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

ttt