Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What towns to see driving from Florence to San G?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 05:16 AM
Debby

We'll be rening a car in Florence on the way to San G where we will spend the night. So many post have talked about San G at sunset that we want to make sure we get to see it.<BR><BR>We will be staying at the Anticco Pozzo. I know nothing about it except from a post on this board.<BR><BR>We will leave the next morning for Siena. Any suggestions of towns to stop at on the way there?<BR><BR>Thanks for your help.<BR><BR>Debby

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Wayne

Debby---As you probably know, the drive is very short, probably about an hour by the most direct route on the autostrada toward Siena. Take the Poggibonsi exit for San Gimignano. If you do that, there isn't much to see along the way. If you want to make a couple of quick diversions from this route, I would suggest you take the San Donato exit before reaching Poggibonsi, and visit Castellina in Chianti for a couple of hours. If you still have time, go back to Poggibonsi and head in a westerly direction to Colle di Val d'Elsa before going on to San G. Or instead of any of these, take the Poggibonsi exit, go to Colle dVD, and on to Volterra for a few hours, then back to San G. Any of these places should delight your sightseeing senses.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Sherry

I second Wayne's comment about a detour to Volterra and Colle. Colle is only nine kilometers from S. G and worth a short stop. The old town is very compact and the new town is the center of crystal production in Italy.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Capo

Having just been there yesterday (Friday) definitely visit Volterra! I'd also second the recommendation of Colle di Val d'Elsa. <BR><BR>San Gimignano was an absolute mob scene. It looks fascinating (very cool from a distance) and we were going to visit it on our way to Vernazza this morning but, when we saw the hordes, we decided against it and split.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 10:25 AM
sandi

Spend the day places other than San g. then enjoy San g. at night/evening. Antico Pozzo was really nice.