Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page > Visiting Bogota during layover at airport.
Notices

Visiting Bogota during layover at airport.

Dec 13th, 2017, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Visiting Bogota during layover at airport.

Hi

We're a family of four with two girls of 19 and 9. We are returning from Costa Rica to Boston via Bogota. We will arrive at Bogota at 6:10 am, layover time almost 8 hours before our flight to Boston at 2:19 pm. We would like to use this time to make a short visit. Please advise us.
Dec 14th, 2017, 12:29 AM

It is going to take around 30 mins by taxi to the centre. Get a metered taxi from the rank at the airport. On the way back I would go into a restaurant or hotel and ask them to call a radio taxi for you. Do not get one off the street. It should take around 30mins to the centre.

In the central area I would consider visiting Museo Del Oro, Museo Botero, La Candelaria and the Plaza de Bolivar (obviously you won’t have time for all of them). Some details, photos etc. of our time there on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/colombia/

Another alternative would be the salt Cathedral at Zipiquira but tha would probably take an hour by taxi.
Dec 14th, 2017, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks crellston for your nice advice. Is it possible to visit center and go to Monseratte and take a cable ride ?
Dec 24th, 2017, 10:58 AM

I tried to post earlier but it didn't take. I just returned from flying out of Bogota airport.

The traffic in the morning is worse going IN to Bogota and it is worse going OUT of Bogota in the afternoon. Although 6:10 am is still quite early, by the time you exit (after passing through immigration and hitting an ATM for some COP), you could start to hit morning commute traffic. You could still get to the Gold Museum when they open at 9 or 10 on Sunday (closed on Monday), and I think it's worthwhile.

If you get out of the airport early you may be able to do the cable car also..it opens early in the morning. But I don't remember how long it takes to get up and down...

I would probably try to hire a taxi van to take you around for the whole time you are there.

I think I would want to start to head for the airport by 11:30 am because there is also a lot of lunchtime traffic (noon). The airport is pretty efficient for exiting passengers (more so than entering). If you have a little extra time spend the extra COP at Crepes and Waffles upstairs....

The museum is near the "Parque de Periodistas" and the restaurant "Dos Gatos y Simone"..If you have any cat lovers in the family, have a look at the cool graffit on their building at the corner of Carrera 2a/Calle 13 and Calle 16a. They also aren't far from the Montserrate station area.

Search this Thread