Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Six hour layover in Taipei- anything nearby?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anything nearby CKS Airport that would be worth exiting the airport for maybe 2 or 3 hours?

My daughter & friend have a layover from 4pm to 10:30pm. She's never been to Taiwan and hoped it might be possible to get a very brief taste of the couuntry (as in a meal)or maybe just bragging rights for having been there.

A friend who went thru about 4 years ago said the airport has little to amuse transit passengers. Maybe this has changed?

Last time I was here was about 15 years ago. I don't remember anything about the airport other than the fact they didn't like tourists with Mainland China visas in their passport.

Thanks, as always, for your help!

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 11:29 PM
JohnWM

Hello, Icuy! I'm sorry that you didn't approve of my observations in an earlier posting, but I can still share some info with you anyway that you might find helpful.

For your daughter's stopover time at CKS airport, she & her friend might consider taking a taxi cab ride into town to visit the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial. I believe that it's open until 6 pm.

She & her friend might also consider a taxi cab ride to Taipei 101, currently the world's tallest building. There are eating places to be had in the building and vicinity.

After nightfall, she & her friend could take a taxi cab ride over to Snake Alley, the local street market that does feature a few snake handlers and a whole lot of other interesting merchandise vendors.

Actually, even before leaving the airport your daughter could check at the Tourist Bureau in the Arrivals Hall; perhaps they can connect her to an organized tour of the city that occurs during the hours of her layover.

Cheerful regards, JohnWM.

Old Jun 18th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, John. Sounds like they can make good use of their limited time!
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 01:52 PM

The National Museum in Taipei is stunning. What a collection! I'm not sure of the hours, though it is open until at least 6. Even an hour in the museum would be worthwhile.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 02:42 PM

I'm not sure if you are aware, but CKS airport is not in Taipei. It is in Taoyuan and it takes about 30 - 40 minutes in a taxi to Taipei city. They would still have time to do some of the suggested sights, but just be aware of the times/distances from CKS.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 02:41 AM

I agree with Kathie..the National Museum is one of the best anywhere!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 11:05 AM

The National Museum is currently undergoing some major renovations. I was just there in May and a large part of the space was closed. Quite disappointing. IIRC, the construction is not due to be completed until next year.

Also keep in mind that with traffic, check-in and security clearance, she'll probably only have about two-and-a-half hours or so of siteseeing time available.