Sao Paulo airport transport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arriving Sao Paulo early a.m. Delta Terminal 1 and transferring to hotel for conference.
Options seem to be a bus/subway combo, airport bus (but I read executive bus and minibus from some sources), prepaid taxi or regular taxi.

I think the bus/subway combo may be too much for me to figure out on my first arrival.

Looking at the bus stops listed on www.airportbusservice.com.br, they seem to be a long way west on Paulista from my hotel near 23 de Maio Av. Is this correct? I'd like something to drop me off at or near hotel on my first arrival in Sao Paulo after an overnight flight.

Prepaid taxi--I assume there is a stand/counter inside the airport where I go to arrange the taxi and prepay? Is there more than one company or just one stand? I read that you are paying a higher price so no tip is expected?

Regular taxi--I read they are safe, but I would need to know--extra charge beyond meter for luggage? tip?

Thanks for any sharing your experiences.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 08:03 PM

It's quite a long way from the airport to Ave Paulista. I'd take either a regular taxi or the executive bus. Tipping for taxis is just rounding up to the nearest Real.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 07:12 PM

It is a long way from Guarulhos Airport to Paulista Av. If I were you I would take the prepaid taxi. I'm from São Paulo and that's what I usually do. Regular taxi at the airport are a bit wild as they are not really allowed to take passengers there.
It might be a little cheaper but I do not think that it is worth it. You should also think about the time that you will be arriving since the traffic might be huge problem in the direction you are going specially during the evening.
Av. 23 de maio is huge so I'm not sure about the distance from Paulista Av. to your hotel (need more information) but you if you take the bus you will probably need a taxi afterward as there is no subway line servicing the 23 de maio Av. (except for those VERY VERY close to Paulista Av.).

The prepaid taxi will give you a secure, smooth ride.

Best regards.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Oh I forgot. Tip the driver 10% of the ride in any case and you will be fine.

Best regards.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.
I will look for the prepaid taxi counter inside Terminal 1 upon arrival.
I arrive in the early a.m. and depart in the late p.m. I have read about the traffic and the need to plan 2 hours transit. Arrival is no problem--I am arriving the day before the meeting, but I will need to make sure I leave on time the afternoon the meeting ends to make my flight.