Santiago - Bellavista, Valpariso, or Pomaire? Need help

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In advance, thank you fellow travelers... we will be in Santiago for 2-3 days. I am desperately looking for feedback on where to take a side trip for a day? Also, any wonderful restaurants recommended would be greatly appreciated. Is it a good idea to rent a vehicle and drive, or is it better to hire a tour guide...
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:49 AM

We are by no means Santiago experts, but we had a wonderful meal at Astrid y Gaston. Pricey but fabulous food.
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:36 AM

A lot depends on the time of year you are coming. Valparaíso would be my choice if you were doing only one day trip outside of Santiago. Bellavista is just a neighbourhood within Santiago with many bars and restaurants. Pomaire is a better option if you have more time and can combine it with Isla Negra. In the winter Pomaire is really only active on weekends.
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:54 PM

Valparaiso is a good day trip. If you are the type of person who likes quirky, artsy places, you will like Valparaiso. We enjoyed Pablo Neruda's home in Valparaiso. There are good restaurants there, especially if you like seafood. The streets are very steep. I always felt safe there, although it has a gritty feel. We had a car and had a hard time finding our way. I would suggest getting a guide or taking a bus to Valparaiso from Santiago and then use taxi's to get around.
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the feedback, I am so appreciative!
Mare
Old May 27th, 2010, 09:42 AM

I agree with the above poster Valparaiso gets my vote. We really enjoyed our time there and ate at some great restarants. A few photos:

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...9520/tpod.html
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 06:34 PM

If you are driving from Santiago to Valparaiso, you can easily make a stop in Pomaire - 2 birds, 1 stone kind of thing. Pomaire is a very small town, you won't spend that much time there. Make the detour and continue on to Valpo.

Bellavista easily fits in the 2 or 3 days you have in Santiago ...

How lucky can you be?
You really get to have your cake and eat it too, as there is no need to choose between Bellavista, Valparaiso or Pomaire, you can explore all 3!

Have a woderful trip.
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 04:43 PM

Pomaire was badly damaged in the earthquake and I am not sure how much back together it is. In the winter most of the shops there are closed except on weekends anyway. It is a very long way round to Valparaíso on the off chance. I would think taking Ruta 68 and stopping at a vineyard for lunch would be preferable. If you are driving, parking in Valparaíso is a bit of a nightmare. There are parking lots on the "plan", the flat part by the port, but up on the hills you will find it very difficult to park.