Search

From Santiago to desert

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:55 PM
ines

From Santiago to desert

We are going to chile with my husband all by ourselves. Will we manage? 1) How can we go from Santiago to the desert(into the warmest place in chile)? We don't want to go by plane. 2) What good places should we visit there?<BR>or any good information about Chile ...<BR>Thanks

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 04:36 PM
tutu

My husband & I travelled to Chile a few years ago. We did not have time to visit the desert but instead flew from Santiago to Tamuco in the Chilean Lake District where we spent a wonderful couple of days, then drove to Puerto Montt for a night. We then flew to Punta Arenas at the southern tip and bus to Purto Natales for a trip to the Torres de la Paine Biosphere Reserve. The trip exceeded our expectations. Spectacular glaciers, volcanoes, thermal springs, and best of all, not many tourists. We've promised to get to the Desert someday. Enjoy your journey.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Gliadrachan

Chile is a remarkably civilised country. You will be able to manage by yourselves (a little Spanish will help!) Many Chilean people have some English - particularly in the industries dealing with tourists.<BR><BR>YOu didn't say where in the desert you wanted to go...You will be able to get buses to most places in Chile from Santiago. The buses are cheaper than flying and if you go tourist class, very good. However, the distances are very long - it is a 24 hour trip from Santiago to Iquique and another 4 hours to Arica. <BR><BR>Santiago and its coastal cities (Valparaiso and Vina del Mar) are not cold and are very pleasant places to visit. Of course the further south you go - the colder it gets...

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 01:49 PM
anne

Gliadrachan, you seem very knowledgeable about Santiago. Can you help me out? I'll be there for 3 days in late June (Sun-Tues) and am at a loss as to what to do. I don't ski and suspect that the cold weather doesn't allow for much else.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Gliadrachan

Anne,<BR><BR>There are plenty of things to do in and around Santiago - even if you don't ski.<BR><BR>There are quite a few wineries in the area - you can do either a half or full day winery tour.<BR><BR>There is also:<BR>- a half day city bus tour, <BR>- a full day to Val Pariso and Vina del Mar (the very rich twin cities on the coast)including Pablo Neruda's house<BR>- a full day tour to Isla Negra and another part of the coast. This also includes a visit to another of Pablo Neruda<BR><BR>In Santiago you can walk around the town - there are many interesting buidings and Gardens. In particular you can visit the Cerro Santa Lucia which has great views over the city and to the Andes beyond. Very pretty.<BR><BR>Hope this helps<BR>

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 01:01 PM
santiago

Well, desert is synonimum of San pedro de Atacama (also other places). Take a bus (see for example www.turbus.cl) and in san pedro there are a lot of tours at very affordable prices. I suggest to take tours for obtain a detailed explanation about places. after you can travel by yourself.<BR>Places: Moon Valley, Atacama Flat Salt, tatio Geysers(strongly suggested to take a tour because night driving), Interior villages, Altiplanic Lagoons, Uyuni Flat salt in Bolivia.