Peru Itinerary - Amazon or Lake Titicaca?

Old Sep 10th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peru Itinerary - Amazon or Lake Titicaca?

I am planning on hiking the Inca Trail in late May, and I'm considering taking a Gap Adventures tour. They have several itineraries to choose from, and I'm trying to decide if I should select the one that also goes to the Amazon after the hike or the one that goes to Lake Titicaca before the hike. Any thoughts on which one is more of a must see? Has anyone used this tour company for the Inca Trail?
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 01:16 PM

www.titicaca.info amazing spectacular less rain than amazon

www.gapadventures.com Canada based middle man

Local providers like

www.pmexplorers.com

www.perutreks.com

usually better cheaper also do jungle and Titicaca

with them if you like...
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 01:42 PM

You need time to acclimate to Lake Titicaca, it is very high in elevation. I would not go directly there from sea level before your trip.

Perhaps pick up a tour from Cusco when you arrive, for after your trail hike.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 09:02 AM

I combined a trip to Macchu Picchu with 5 days in the Amazon, staying in Explorama Lodges. I loved the Amazon - seeing how the people lived, fishing for piranha - everything about the experience.
Martha
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 05:07 AM

I am going to Peru in November with my mom through International Expeditions http://www.ietravel.com and we looked at some of their custom options hiking the Salkantay Trail (runs pretty parallel with Inca Trail) and they recommended several options - all very reasonable. Someone above mentioned the Explorama Lodges, and the information International Expeditions sent on Ceiba Tops (part of that group) was very interesting.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 07:59 AM

Absolutely the Amazon. I had to make this same decision (Amazon vs. Arequipa/Puno) back in July. I chose the Amazon and it was the best trip of my life. I flew into Iquitos in the north and stayed at Tahuayo Lodge with Amazonia Expeditions, which I HIGHLY recommend (www.perujungle.com). I had such a great experience with them that I have already booked a return trip in December. However, since you are already in Cusco/MP, doing Manu out of Puerto Maldonado might be more feasible. Enjoy!
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 10:04 AM

I faced the same choice and chose Lake Titicaca. Why? well mainly because I have been in jungles/rainforests in many different parts of the world but the chance to visit the highest navigable lake in the world was irresistible. The scenery on the way from Cusco was amazing as was the Lake itself. We then got the bus from Puno to Arequipa and agin the scenery was amzing - almost like a different plante at times.

Have fun its a gtreatchoice to have to make!
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 03:47 PM
P_M

I went to Lake Titicaca before the hike so I would be acclimated before tackling the Inca Trail. Several people in my group took Diamox to help with altitude sickness, and you can also chew coca leaves. (you will NOT get high from coca leaves, sorry ;-) ) I visited the jungle last and I must say, after being at such high altitudes the jungle gave me a new appreciation for oxygen.

My trip was with GAP and it was very good, just be advised the hotels are very basic, and I do mean basic. If that's not a problem for you then I do recommend GAP, it was a great value for the money.