Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Peru - Cusco - Places to visit in 3 days (after machu picchu hike)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone!
Thanks for all the insightful information that the members are providing on this forum. It's been a pleasure. I am going to Peru for couple of weeks. I have some free time in between my volunteering and machu picchu hiking trip. Here are the details:

* Volunteering in Cusco for 5 days and I get 2 days off after that - Should I stay in Cusco or go somewhere else for sightseeing?
* Start the 4D / 3N hiking trip after the 2 day break. Will be left with 3 days after the trip - Should I stay local or travel somewhere, say Lima?
I am not a big fan of commercial places. Would be happy to visit anything that is still primitive. I would be more than happy to do another hike or visit a national park or enjoy a traditional city. Any recommendation would be helpful. I still have 2 more months to go and that's why haven't done enough research on my own yet. Thanks to all and happy traveling!
Mahesh
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 12:39 PM

If while you're volunteering you don't get time to explore Cusco or the Sacred Valley, definitely spend some of your time doing that. We spent a total of 4 days seeing the main Sacred Valley sites (Tipon, Ollantaytambo, Pisac, Chinchero, etc) and a full day in Cusco alone. The sites are amazing.

Another suggestion would be to go to Lake Titicaca. Take a tour of the islands with an overnight stay on Amantani. That's what we did. It was beautiful and extremely rustic. The family we stayed with had two light bulbs - one in the bathroom (bucket flush) and one in the kitchen. It was a great experience.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 10:31 PM

I would stay in ollantaytambo for a few days to chill out and recover from your hike. It is a fantastic small town/village with loads to see in the town itself and a great place from which to explore all the places in the SV the shutterbug has just suggested. I am assuming that you will have sometime during your volunteering to explore Cusco?

Titicaca is a possibility. A trip there on the Inka Express bus will give you plenty of time to experience the amazing vistas of the altiplano and the lake, although a bit like a theme park in places, truly is one of the wonders of the world. Do be aware of the altitude issues though. At 4200m many people will be affected even those who have acclimatised in Cusco or the SV.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 07:43 AM

As an alternative to Lake Titicaca, I would suggest going to the Amazon after your trek. From Cusco you can catch a 35 min flight to Puerto Maldonado and then stay in a lodge further down the river in the jungle. The contrast to the Andes is amazing, in scenery, climate, and the abundance of wildlife. Recommended lodges: Hacienda Concepcion, Wasai, Lake Sandoval Lodge.

If you decide to do this, then in the 2 days before your trek I would recommend checking out the Sacred Valley.

Happy travels!
Anabel
Peru For Less
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! That is very helpful. Shutterbug, what travel agent did you go with for Lake Titicaca? Would love to stay with the family.
Thanks again. Mahesh
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Oh, one more question about stay in Cusco. I was looking into the hostels but may not be the best thing to do looking at the reviews. It's more for partying than anything else. I am past that in my life and would like something that's cheap and relatively quiet. Thanks much!
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 11:39 AM

A hostAl is different than a hostEl. I've always stayed at El Balcon Cusco. It has an advantage of being reachable by taxi.
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 11:56 AM

Have you looked into homestay around Ollantaytambo?
I might sound like a broken record but I think Awamaki is a fine organization :
http://awamakitourism.wordpress.com/homestay-programs/
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 07:29 PM

We booked our Lake Titicaca tour through Allways Tours (http://www.titicacaperu.com/). They do shop out your actual spot to a local tour company, but you pay them and then also pay your host family personally. (Unlike other companies where it's unclear how much the host family gets.)

Definitely read the reviews on TripAdvisor for hostals. There are plenty which are quieter and are frequented by couples, families, etc.
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much!!
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Just one last question. I am almost ready to go except that I am looking for a good travel insurance plan. Can you recommend anything? I was looking at world nomads. Is that a good company? Many thanks! - Mahesh
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 11:41 AM

I haven't used World Nomads, but I would not recommend Travel Guard. We used them for our Peru trip and had major issues just trying to get in touch with them via phone. If we'd had a real emergency we would have been in big trouble.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your constant inputs Shutterbug85. It is much appreciated. Are you aware of any other travel insurance agents?
Many thanks! - Mahesh
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 07:15 AM

Many people have used InsureMyTrip.com to find an insurance provider. You could look there and see what they have.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

great! thanks for your useful inputs..
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 02:16 PM

You could do Paracas-Balestas Islands, Nazca or a tour of Chachapoyas, Cajamarca and Chiclayo.
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

I came back couple of weeks ago from my trip to Peru. I want to thank you all for making this possible. You gave me some really valuable inputs. I really appreciate that. It was a humbling experience to be in Cuzco and Machu Picchu. Totally enjoyed it. Went to Lima as well for couple of days.
Thanks again and happy traveling!!

Mahesh