Peru itinerary

Old May 6th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peru itinerary

Hello all
Planning a trip to Peru - looking for feedback on some of my plans.
The main activity I plan is the "Machu Picchu and Beyond" itinerary with REI Adventures. As someone who's adventurous but not a fan of camping, this seems like a good way to see Peru's top attractions. I'm a 36 year old single guy traveling alone and so this seems like a good way to travel and feel part of a group with some similar interests.

Regarding Lima - I hear mixed reviews and may do just the half day with REI at the end or may add a day at the beginning and get a personalized tour with a uncle of a friend whom I don't know anything about. Seems like a way to mitigate concerns for safety in Lima and maybe experience the local side of things.

Following Cusco/Machu Picchu, I'm considering going by bus or train to Puno and doing 1-2 days at Lake Titicaca. As I'll be traveling alone, I'm a bit skeptical though it appears that some companies like Edgar or All Ways Travel offer good tour options that would let me be with other people and also with the element of safety that a local guide provides. Any feedback on these options... and any feedback on staying overnight in a home on an island? Keep in mind I'm not a camping fan - so please tell me just how rustic those accommodations are.

Thanks! Happy trails.
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:49 AM

I would suggest taking a bus to Puno from Cusco, the train takes twice as long, only runs on certain days and is uncomfortable if you are tall (but it is beautiful). I also took a boat tour of the reed islands on Lake Titicaca, it was GREAT!! I just did the day trip, but if you have time definatly stay on the islands. At first you will think it is going to be like camping, but when you walk in the hut you will see a fully made bed.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:44 AM

I'm looking into planning a trip myself, and was wondering if you decided on either Edgar or All Ways for your time around Lake Titicaca (or if you chose someone else). Thanks!
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 08:15 AM

We went to Lake Titicaca in January of this year and spent a night on Amantani with a lovely family - it was a terrific experience.

We used a private guide out of Cusco who customized the itinerary for us - cost wise it was comparable to a mid range package tour but MUCH better. We were very happy with his services and would recommend him.

The guide's name is David Choque (I found him here on Fodors) - his web site is:

http://www.cuscotoptravelperu.com/index.htm

Here's a link to our blog so you can get a sense of the itinerary.

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/l...aca/index.html

David drove us in his very comfortable van from Cusco to Puno - it was a nice way to travel that road. Then we spent one night in Puno/one night on Amantani/and one night in Puno - David was with us the whole time (plus a local Puno guide) and then he dropped us at the Juiliaca airport for our flight back to Lima.

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:05 PM

In August , i will be in peru too , I booked my 2 days Tour in Puno /Lake Titicaca , Amantani by Allway travel , few of my friends join their tour and strongly recommended .
I will join the 4 day Inca trail too , but if you don't like camping , forget it .