Lima airport layover advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2018, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2 college kids will be returning to the US in a few weeks, but they have an 8 hour layover in Lima (4 - 12:15 am). 3 questions:

1. Do they have time to get a taxi into the city and grab dinner? Not sure how close it is? They speak minimal Spanish.
2. They have never been to Lima. Can you recommend a specific location/street that is fairly straight forward, with restaurants and shops open on a Sat night?
3. Will they have to carry all their "carry on" luggage with them wherever they go?

Thanks!
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 07:02 AM

They probably have the time. I say probably because it has taken me anywhere between 45 mins to two hours to get from the airport to say Miraflores or Barranco. Plenty of restaurants in both areas and happy to suggest some if required. In Miraflores I would either head for Parque Kennedy or the Larcomar centre. Both have a lot going on.

In Barranco I would just head for the main Plaza. Loads of restaurants and bars all around. Canta Rana is a safe bet there. Very informal. Some info and photos of Barranco on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/2016/05...barranco-lima/

I am pretty sure there will Be luggage storage in Lima airport. I would either pre book a taxi with www.taxidatum.com or use the Green taxi desk just after arrivals.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 09:49 AM

They should have plenty of time for grabbing some dinner and doing a bit of shopping with 8 total hours (really about 5.5 hours or 6 with needing to be to airport in time). First, there is definitely luggage storage at the Lima Airport. It's just outside the luggage claim area for domestic flights. I forget what prices are, but I've had a few friends use the lockers and they've mentioned the costs aren't too bad.

My favorite thing to do near to the airport is head to the Larco Museum (Museo Larco ? Tesoros del antiguo Perú) in Pueblo Libre. There's great signage in English at one of the best museums in South America. Entrance is about $10 per person. There's also an onsite restaurant that's really good, and the whole property stays open until about 10pm.

That would be a lot closer than heading down to Miraflores. But if they want more shopping and restaurant options, it'll take about 45 minutes to an 1 hour. Larcomar would be a good place to wander around for a bit and find a place to eat before heading back to the airport.