Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Can we visit Miraflores with a 7hr layover at Lima?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2018, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like most people we’re getting into Lima Airport from Cusco at 5 pm and then departing for the US around 12:30 am. A few questions:

1. Is that enough time to grab dinner in Miraflores?
2. Are there lockers for carry on bags?
3. If we can’t get to Miraflores, is there a closer town with nice restaurants and shops?

Thanks
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 10:10 PM

1. Just about but it can take anywhere between 45 and 90mins to get from the airport into Miraflores or Barranco so you would need to keep a close eye on the time.
2. I have never used any but assume there are as in most major airports.
3. Miraflores is your best bet. Unless you have a specific restaurant in mind, I would head for the Larcomar centre where there are a wide variety close by.

As you are tight on time I would consider pre booking transfers both ways with Taxidatum.com or similar.
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 10:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Only been in Lima twice so not an expert, but IME the traffic is pretty awful. Not sure I'd try it. Do you have Lounge access? If so, that is probably what I'd do.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 05:22 AM

I've actually done a daytime layover (but time enough for lunch, dinner and shopping) and yes there is luggage storage in Lima airport. It takes about an hour each way from the airport in to Miraflores. I would recommend leaving back to the airport at least 3.5 to 4 hours before your flight home. So really you need to be done by about 8:30-9 pm, which is a pretty early dinner time for Lima. Don't forget it will cost you about $40 return for the taxi. I would book taxidatum both ways, it can be difficult getting a taxi back to the airport on the fly without a confirmed reservation.

While it's possible I don't think it's worthwhile since there are restaurants in the airport (you don't have to access a lounge for food). I am usually happy with Pardo's anticuchos and a gelato and cappuccino from 4D (assuming they are still there). There should also be a few sit down restaurants but I'd be reluctant to recommend one without recent experience (eg I've seen references to Pikeo or T'anta).. I'm not even sure if the airport website is current!

The bar at the hotel is a good idea, also.

If you insist on doing this, perhaps Saqra which is open for an early dinner, or the restaurant at Huaca Pucllana

Last edited by mlgb; Aug 4th, 2018 at 05:25 AM.
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 03:20 PM

Your responses to this question are of interest to me as I am trying to decide when to arrive in Lima from Cusco in order to catch a 3:00am flight. Our organized tour finishes after breakfast in Cusco so I could book the flight pretty much anytime. We will have lounge access in Lima but I have read that we won’t be able to check in and go to the airside lounge until about three hours before the flight. I expect we will be travel weary and eager to get home (Toronto) after 17 days of travel so just wondering what would be the least stressful way to spend the time without it costing an arm and a leg. Good to know there are luggage lockers in Lima, and I’ll make a note of Taxidatum. Any other thoughts or suggestions?