Lima Airport Checkin-Domestic

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lima Airport Checkin-Domestic

We've been told by LanPeru to arrive 2 hours early for our 6:30 a.m. flight from Lima to Cusco. Since this is a domestic flight, is it really necessary to arrive at 4:30 a.m.? Is the airport even open yet? Also, any chance of rush hour traffic or construction on a Monday morning at 4:00 am that might impede our tax from the Melia Hotel to the airport?
Thanks to all fellow travelers! Claire
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 04:55 PM

The airport is open all night because most of the big international flights come and go in the overnight hours. There will definitely be someone at the check-in counter at 4:30. I woudn't worry about traffic congestion at that hour.

I'm one of those people who gets to the airport when he is told, so I won't be the one to tell you it's okay to check in later.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Jeff - Thanks for the info. I usually arrive when told, or even earlier. However, my one other very early morning airport experience was the international airport in Moscow, of all places. We arrived shortly after 4:30 am and actually had to wait for the security personnel to arrive for work that morning - it was more like 5 am when we went through; at least we were first in line! Claire
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Oh, you'll be surprised at how much activity there is at that hour. The second American flight from Miami gets to Lima around 4 a.m., and many of those passengers go through immigration and customs and head to the domestic check-in counters, which are all staffed and ready to go for that first round of domestic flights. It isn't an elaborate process, so you'll have plenty of time with two hours.

Now, when you leave Peru, I've found that check-in and boarding in Lima is pretty time consuming. Do get there when they tell you to. You'll need the time.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Jeff - Thanks for the warning. We will arrive in plenty of time - probably 3.5 hours early, largely because I'm sure we'll return to the airport right after dinner. Speaking of which, is it a good idea to hang out in central Lima near the museums/sights until dinnertime, or would it be better to taxi our way back towards the airport before dinner, stopping somewhere nice in San Isidro or Miraflores? Any recommendations for our last dinner in Peru? Claire
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 03:33 PM

Much depends on when your flight leaves. If it's at midnight and you need to be at the airport at 9, then you could manage an early dinner anywhere in the city.

I'm not too up on Lima restaurants but I know I've seen suggestions here. Let me also put in a plug for a lot of good information other places on this website. The "Destinations" link on the homepage takes you to Peru and Lima sections with restaurant listings. They come from the Fodor's guide. I just didn't happen to work on that chapter.