Great Experience Awamaki tour to Patacancha from Ollantaytambo

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the pleasure of joining a half day visit to Patacancha, one of the traditional Quechua villages near Ollantaytambo. Awamaki arranges the tour up to 3 times a week (M W F), minimum two people, 110 soles pp with addon options for weaving lessons. They have a drop in office in the main Plaza but it is a better idea to contact them in advance to make sure there is a tour. New website is www.awamakitourism.wordpress.com . The village is a 3 -4 hour walk but luckily the tour goes by combi van 20 or 30 minutes. The basic visit includes weaving demos, a visit inside a dwelling and shopping and photo opps ( without being "soled" to death. Bring lots of change if you wish to buy . No haggling fair pricing eg 25 soles for a belt, 60 to 80 for a scarf, 100 for larger pieces. Awamaki works with the weavers to use natural dyes (they prefer respun bright acrilyc for their own garments). One of the weavers selling the day I went was 95-year old Maria.
Well worth adding a half day to your itinerary. At the last minute I grabbed a pepino and some M&Ms and wish I had brought more. Photos to follow later.
Tip: a private taxi from Olly to Cusco via the Chinchero road should be no more than 70 soles. Hearts Cafe has a 20 soles lunch although altho allow an hour.
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:37 AM

You could also arrange this with an agency or private car service with guide and then the community would make the money directly instead of going through an ngo.
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

When I bought weavings I paid the full amount in cash directly to the individuals with no percentage to Awamaki. I believe the community is also paid part if not all of the tour fee.
If I went with an "agency" or "private car service" then the community would get nothing, and all of my fee would go to the "agency". As well as given the current state of the road I challenge you to tell us what profit making agency runs this service and what they charge.
Old May 15th, 2012, 04:59 PM

they charge just for transport and english guide nothing more. the community can charge what they want. It is not necessary for a ngo to run this. The community should be self sufficient.
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Yes in an ideal world everyone would be self sufficient and private enterprise would solve all poverty. It sounds strangely like you have a chip on your shoulder about this organization or is it about NGO s in general? Peru certainly is not immune to petty jealousy.

Any one interested is welcome to look at their website, www.awamaki.org and ask directly any questions.
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:21 PM

waylluy - take a look at this page of the website and you will see exactly why it is that this village is not self sufficient and needs the assistance of an NGO. http://www.awamaki.org/knitting-co-op

Having worked with and for a number of NGOs I do share your apparent concern about the activities of some (if not most!), but this one does at least seem to have the right sort of approach i.e. the development of capacity and organisation of marketing etc. AND it does seem that, rather than taking a cut of the sales, they are donating 400% of the revenues made to the co-op. Of course, their website could all be lies, but even I am not that cynical - yet!
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

I have also worked with nonprofits in the US and am not a wide eyed innocent. I wonder if there is more to this animosity. Perhaps waylluy isn't happy that the weavers now have a good understanding of fair pricing and a year round market (Awamaki will buy pieces when it is slow for their store). I noticed that the pricing for standard items was similar in Hearts Cafe.
Old May 26th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

I figured it out. This waylluy person is one who recommends a private taxi service (her son, I think) on a number of travel boards. Now it all makes sense.

Anyhoo, here are some photos of my visit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buddysa...7629686882542/