Search

FOOD! Cholesterol!

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FOOD! Cholesterol!

What do you suggest I eat in Argentina as I have high cholesterol? I hear lots of meat is the mainstay. They cook with lard???? I know I can have fish. ANy ideas? Thanks. Carol
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:32 AM

Meat, and lots of it is the norm in Argentina (and very nice it is too!!). It is diificult to avoid the beef but many places will will have fish which is very good too. avrooster took us to a very nice place which served fantastic white salmon that I had never seen before. I think the place was called something like Fervor (avrooster will no doubt chip in with further details. Depending upon where you go in the country there will be many non beef culinary treats that await you but Argentina is not known for its haute cuisine so don't expect anything to exotic.

The one thing I found a little disappointing was the lack of any decent salads (but maybe I didn't look hard enough as I was too busy enjoyiong the beef!!).
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:33 AM

clove7524:

You will find lots of fish and very good too.

If you ask for the fish to be done "la plancha", that is grilled, not fried, you should be better off.

Papas fritas [french fried potato chips] are served with practically everything but you can also get "smashed" potato, squash and other healthy foods.

We found the wait service to be very good, accommodating and easy to work with. I am sure you will too.

I am diabetic [type II] and when my wife mentioned this to most wait staff, they were very helpful.

The food in Argentina was great. From the smallest village to Buenos Aires so I am sure you will have no trouble and enjoy your meals.

Woodie
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:37 AM

AVRooster "chipping in"! LOL!!!

About "Fervor": http://www.fervorbrasas.com.ar/

They are great for grilled fish (and meat), as crellston says above. I'm not too sure about their egg salad, however. LOL!!!

I totally disagree with crellston's "lack of any decent salads" and feel he most certainly "didn't look hard enough as I was too busy enjoying the beef!!" as he himself says.

About our meat, I understand it has a lower cholesterol content, because our cattle are range-fed.

Have a great time in our country, clove7524. If you choose your food properly, you may even get your Cholesterol DOWN!
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:00 AM

In the NW, if oua rea coming, you can eat any food with quinoa, delicious salads, pekerrey, torut, or many dishes with no cholesterol...
Anyway, if you exceed take a spoom of bee honey and a spoon of apple vinegar, is it very well and drink it at once, in 5 minutes your cholesterol level will be normal!
Top secret, but it works!
Flintstones
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:54 AM

clove, I don't eat red meat and I enjoy eating tons of great salads, fish and fresh vegetables all the time... not to mention pastas and more ethnic foods in some of the Indian and Chinese and Japanese restaurants here.
Look through your guide book, see that there are many many restaurants here that you will be able to enjoy..
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:20 PM

I don;t think it is as hard to find salad here as some people think. Really, especially if you like to cook yourself, you can find whatever type of food you want here, more than just beef. Even though BA is known for its cow-flesh, there are still plenty of seafood and vegetarian eateries out there. try the oleo guide to find more.

also, try juana m- it has an impressive salad bar for you and really good steak for anybody you are with.

Cheers!
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:00 AM

I found a lot of fresh salads on my last trip to Argentina; the dressings they use are healthier and simpler, mainly vinegar, oil and herbs as in the Italian dressing. I don't know about haute cuisine, but Argentina has a tremendous variety of all kinds of foods, depending on the region as it seems to be like several countries in one.
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:17 PM

messifan , yes ! I love Juana M salads ! I think they have one of the best salad bars in town.
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Carol...There is chicken in most places and a lot of it was grilled. Pork loin is readily available and delicious. Just ask to have no sauce on it. We often had salad and I told them exactly what I wanted in it. Most places will do just what you want. Remember that portions are HUGE in Argentina. We split everything and we are BIG eaters. Neither of us starved , nor did we loose weight splitting things. Enjoy
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:54 PM

So avrooster, would you recommend the egg salad ??? LOL
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:26 AM

Well crellston, about the egg salad, I'd say you should make sure it is more than "just 7 hard boiled eggs". LOL!!!
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:09 AM

This is from my trip report about the restaurant Mott in Palermo Soho:
Found the perfect spot with Mott, which grows its own produce. Revelation number one: kiwi, mint and lime make the most refreshing, tasty drink. Number two: homegrown arugula is astounding in its delightful pungency.
Old May 15th, 2009, 02:32 PM

its a trip, i would not worry about what i can eat, but i will tell you there are tons of alternatives to beef and meat in general....pastas....fish... salads...chicken....you will not want for foods in any way....they have it all..