Food ideas and Itenerary questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be going to Buenos Aires for 9 nights and 10 days. We are very city people, and would probably enjoy Iguazu only if we could go check it out on a day trip, which is impossible and therefore we won't. We realize there is plenty for us to do in BA anyway.
I don't eat any meat except seafood, my husband loves beef, but won't eat seafood. We have booked 4 nights at Mine Hotel for early February and then 5 nights at Miravida Soho due to availability, both in Palermo Soho.
Plan to do lots of shopping and exploring the city, but would like some specific restaurants suitable for our food "restrictions". Also, planning on going to Colonia for a day trip. Any other good day trips and suggested tour operators?
We love wine, but again not worth going all the way to Mendoza for a winery. We've seen wineries in Napa, Sonoma, Dijon...
I speak decent spanish and we'd like to spend some time swimming, or on the beach, if possible.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 05:50 PM

Hi
I think changing the hotels can be fun, add a bit of change to the stay
I have heard a lot of good things about both.

Colonia is an excellent day trip. An estancia would be a day trip, if you are interested in gauchos and horseback riding.. take the Train to Tigre and see the Delta etc.
This place is so big!! It takes more than a day to see most of it..

To go to a beach, look into Mar del Plata and Punta del Este. Both not something you would do in a day..

We don't eat red meat.
It doesn't matter here... everywhere you go, there is something on the menu that you will like.. my son is more strict, eating only fish, when he was here he ate well all the time... all the time .. lol.
Good thing food is inexpensive here

There are so many places to recommend and you will find some that will be your own discoveries.
I live in Recoleta so a few are in my neighborhood, I like a lot of the restaurants in Palermo Viejo/Soho..

In no particular order:
Rodi Bar -Recoleta- locals parrilla, steak, fish, pasta , salads
Celetto -Recoleta- the one on Larrea.. parrilla, same as above.. very nice.
Oviedeo -Recoleta- good seafood

Amici Miei - San Telmo - wonderful Italian, great salads, pastas

It is late, my mind is shutting down now- more tomorrow

Old Dec 17th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Scarlett, How helpful! I'm so glad to see that red meat is not all they eat. Would love to hear about tour operators that you trust for going to the Tigre. I'll think we'll do Colonia early in the trip in case we want to go back.

Old Dec 18th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Well, It seems to be ou have already decided where to go, I would have suggested NW of Argentina. Cafayate is the wine country and the way is really amazing. Nothing else is like the NW, nothing could be even compared... And the food! You do not need to eat seafood as a vegetarian... Humitas, cheese empanadas, quinoa pie, the most varies salads, and goat cheese stuffed pastas! All the flavours, and for your husband... llama beef, lamb, steaks!!!!
Flintsones
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 11:32 AM

Consider:

http://www.fervorbrasas.com.ar/

For great grilled meat AND fish.

See recent comments about it on the One month in Buenos Aires thread.

Have a great time in our town.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 05:30 PM

LOVED Casa Cruz in Palermo for dinner - it's pricey by Buenos Aires standards, but depending on where you're from, the exchange rate makes it a lot more reasonable. The BEST meal I had in BA - and something on the menu for everyone...

Also check out Persicco for some great gelato - in Palermo not far from the Botanical Garden and MALBA

The best empanadas I had while there were at Sanjuanino in Recoleta. They have all sorts of empanadas - vegetable, beef, etc. Something for everyone...

I did a day trip to the Tigre Delta and I really enjoyed it.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 05:53 PM

El Sanjuanino is great!

Check out some coments here:

http://tinyurl.com/4e4oa7
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 01:39 PM

We just got back yesterday from 3 nights in the Miravida Soho. James is a charming owner/host and we liked the location of the hotel very much.

I can't recall whether the local parilla had much other than red meat as we went their for the beef but we also enjoyed meals at La Cupertina, a few blocks walk from the hotel. It's particularly well known for the empanadas (and empanaditos, double-sized round versions) and there are a number of vegetarian options of these. It also offers local stews, one of which I believe is vegetarian. There are also little pizzetas and also chivitos (sandwiches) both of which offer a veggie option. Don't recall seafood on the menu though. Their desserts are delicious (and, like everything else, home-made).
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 03:58 PM

I have not been to a parrilla yet that did not have fish on the menu.
Merluza or salmon are the usual.