Buenos Aires & Mendoza help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a whim I just contacted American Aadvantage and found a mileage ticket to BA, nonstop. I would depart in about 3 weeks, this forum is my first stop in the planning process. I have never been to Argentina (or anywhere else in S. America for that matter) so would appreciate any hints/help/advice. I will be traveling solo and am most interested in seeing BA and Mendoza. Is it feasible to do both in 6 days? Is flying to Mendoza the best option? Recommendations on what to see/do in BA? I'm open and flexible so appreciate any feedback. If anyone has done any sort of organized tour I'd be interested in the name as well, given my lack of time that might be the easiest-albeit not best-route for me to take. Gracias!
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 07:04 PM

flying is outrageously expensive...like $600+... we took the overnite lux bus and it was very nice with fully reclining seats and tons of room, plus meals...

to do both in 6 days is a stretch.....mendoza requires at least 3 days i feel...we liked it better than BA, although there is not much to see...

look at the plaza italia B&B---super location and very nice--reasonable

you can get around in BA very easily and spend some time in some of the districts... we took one general tour which was good to aquaint us with places....taxis are cheap and easy to use....as a single i would stay away from the subway i think...
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I'm debating whether or not to wait until I have more than a week-and a travel buddy. I'd really like to rent a car and just drive all over but don't want to do that by myself. What did you do in Mendoza? I think the bus sounds like a good idea, especially if I can sleep on it.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 05:50 AM

I think you must realize first of all that Argentina is huge. DIstances are huge, we are not talking Europe here. If you have six days, why not stay in Buenos Aires, and at the most go to Iguazu falls...that is a doable trip in a couple of days. Buenos Aires is a HUGE city , tons of things to do, everyday something different ....there is a lot of information in previous postings. Good luck.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi Graz-I agree with you, I may be better off just sticking around BA and possibly seeing Iguazu. I think the only way Mendoza is possible is if I can fly out of there.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 04:38 PM
mjs

Agree with BA +/- Iguazu for 6 days.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 12:05 PM

I just spent a month in BA with a quick trip to Mendoza. I would say that if you only have six days you might like to keep it to BA as there is so much to see and do. One month was not enough to see it all.

I also loved Mendoza and while there we took a wine tour day visiting also an olive farm and took another day doing the high mountain tour into the Andes. It was wonderful. If you take an overnight bus to Mendoza, and spend two nights in Mendoza that is four nights right there. The buses are great but you will be a little tired the next day especially if you have just come from North America in an overnight trip.

I am a pretty high energy tourist and like to see and do everything but be easy on yourself and just visit BA with only 6 days.

About the comment on not taking the subway: I traveled on the subway and never felt unsafe. For the most part people are just going back and forth to work. At night you may wish to take a taxi as the subway closes at 11 and taxis are so cheap.

Enjoy your trip. The city is beautiful, the people are friendly and the food is great!
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 04:52 AM

Jenski, you might want to check out
www.sayhueque.com
for independent traveller and price is very fair.

Their sale executive Arakaki (very helpful guy) has help me to book air ticket from Buenos Aires to Trelew, Trelew to Ushuaia and El Calafate to Bariloche (average 2 hours per flight). 3 flights only cost me USD560, very reasonable.

They also has tour to Mendoza.

I book my Patagonia 21 days trip with them in the coming March 28 to Apr 17 by travelling alone too. So, there is no issue if you are alone.