How many days in Buenos Aires?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to visit Buenos Aires in late October/early November.
Have 12 days available.
How many days would we need in Buenos Aires and what should we see?
Also, should we go to Colonia and Montivideo for a day or two?
Also thinking maybe we should divert to Santiago Chile for a few days?
Any suggestions?
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 02:25 PM
ahc

4-5 days in BA minimum, it's a beautiful city. Definitely recommend Colonia, not so much Montevideo, it was just a big, dirty city in my opinion. Santiago is nice, but doesn't compare to BA. I would recommend spending time in Mendoza, Argentina or Valparaiso, Chile instead, or if you feel adventurous fly into Santiago, spend a day or two, then take a bus over the Andes to Mendoza.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 02:31 PM

I would say 5-7 days in Buenos Aires (including a day trip to Colonia). Then pick a side trip such as Iguazu Falls or Mendoza. You can find my recent trip report by clicking on my name.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 06:00 AM

I would say 365 days in Buenos Aires would be about right....but since you only have 12 days....if I were you...I would spend a couple of days (3 days/nights or 4/3) taking in some of the natural wonders of Argentina--Iguazu Falls, Patagonia,the Northwest, or Mendoza's wine country.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 03:28 PM

I agree with ahc. Definitely go to Colonia but skip Montevideo. BA was one of my least favourite cities so I would give it 3 days but a lot of people love it so 4-5 days seems reasonable.

If you like cities then I guess you could go to Santiago but I would suggest going to El Calafate and see some glaciers or go up north to Iguassu to see the falls.

Both gorgeous and highly recommended and you should be able to fit into your schedule.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 04:26 PM

just came back frm BA..would do 4 days in BA. don't forget to go to a Milonga even if you don't dance - some wonderful tango dancers there! Enjoy the food and shopping and the street fairs.

Head straight to Patagonia - if you love nature/trekking this is the place to go. It is STUNNING.

Check out El chalten for few days - head to see the Fitz Roy which is magnificent. Check out glaciar trekking in El Calafate - it's gorgeous and unreal. Safe and easy to trek with a guide. I'm in love with Patagonia. Wish i could go to the Chilean Patagonia. Wish I was a tourguide.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 04:27 PM

I don't think you've given the forum enough information for people to really help you. It depends on what you like to do and see.

I'm with oceania. We spent three nights in BA and five nights in the Northwest with the limited time we had in the country, and I don't regret the balance at all.

I think most people might agree that BA is a city that you sort of soak up, rather than just hit some major sights. So it depends on what your priorities are.