Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

vacation ideas in latin america, got any?(central and south america)

Old Jul 16th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother and I were planning on going somewhere next summer after I graduate from college. I had the idea of going through central america.

What Ive researched on so far on central america
-little to no railroad transportation
-capitals are close by(biggest distance is san jose->panama city which is 350ish miles)

my questions concerning this plan would be if rent a car or travel by bus would be the better fit for this. I am thinking of a range of 10-14 days.

As for the south america plan, it definitely wont cover as much as the central america trip, but would probably have easier choices of travel(train). I have done no research concerning a south america trip, but what ideas do you have as in multiple countries to visit, what to avoid, what to see, how to go about traveling, etc?

How would the temperatures be in chile and argentina around july-august since they are in the southern hemisphere?

Also, if you were curious about getting there, im looking at either dulles(possibly reagan) or richmond down to wherever since ill probably still be in richmond with my mom and dad and my bro lives up near dc

so, what ideas or suggestions do you all have? As for the type of trip, we're considering backpacking
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 01:23 PM
ahc

Not many trains in South America, at least not like Europe or even the US. Mostly travel is done by bus.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 02:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Travel is central and south america is most often done by bus.

How long do you have?
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 02:22 PM

With a range of only 10-14 days, you could easily stay in one country like Costa Rica and still not see it all. Do you have an idea of how many countries you'd like to visit? Keep in mind that travel time eats up a lot of time.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 03:15 PM

Taking rental cars between countries is difficult to impossible, depending on which country you're talking about.

In Cental America, you might be able to see two countries, but in South America most of the countries are way bigger spaces. We spent two weeks in Colombia this past January and hardly scratched the surface.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 04:24 PM

I agree with Volcanogirl, with only 10-14 days you should stick to one country - otherwise you'll spending most of your time travelling instead of enjoying.

You should also give us an idea of what your likes/dislikes are, budget, etc so we can recommend something
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 05:55 PM

First advice is to stretch your days as much as possible - if you go for just 10 days (or even 14) you'll want more. I totally agree that 1 country or - at most - bits of 2 would fill 14 days. In my opinion, Guatemala is the gem of CA. Honduras and Belize are also wonderful destinations, especially if you enjoy blue water. All 3 are fascinating culturally and offer an array of outdoor adventures. My photos and travelogues are below if you're interested. Happy planning!

http://flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

if i picked one country, itd be argentina or chile

could do something like mexico city or guatemala also

were only in the idea stage, nothing with how long or when yet, only thing in when it will be is next summer