3 Week Argentina itinerary suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are just beginning to formulate an itinerary for a trip next March to Argentina (though we may include Santiago Chile, too). We plan to fly in to Buenos Aires and out of Santiago, Chile (though may go back to BA depending on air connections). We have 3 weeks and want to see BA then go on to Mendoza and Bariloche (Lake District). It looks like the best way to get to those places is by flying though we will get a rental car in the Mendoza area and while in the Lake District for local driving. Any suggestions on how many days for each place would be helpful. Do we have time to go to Iguazu or is that going to be trying to do too much. Or further south? Lots of flexibility within the 3 week time frame. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 03:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Fly to Bariloche, and then take the Cruce de Lagos from Bariloche,Argentina to Puerto Varas, Chile, the lakes crossing by boat and bus through the national parks. Visit Puerto Varas and then fly to Santiago. Don't miss Valparaiso.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 03:25 PM

If I were doing this, I would fly to Bariloche from BA .. rent a car there, explore, hike , enjoy the area..back to BA. I would go to Mendoza for a few days.
Since Mendoza is not high on my lists of places I have to/want to visit, I would just take the week and break it up so that more time is in Bariloche and the rest in Mendoza. You can decide how much time you want to devote to the area..
Iguazu is a short flight from BA, overnight there would be sufficient and back to BA the next day, later in the day flight.
Once you are here, you will be amazed at how fast time flies .. you will be so glad that you have this much time.
My best advice is get a map of BA as well as Argentina and read all the travel forums and a good guide book... Fodors, Frommers, and Rough Guides are good.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

I have a the Lonely Planet guide book for Argentina. FYI - we are major red wine people so that is why Mendoza is big on our list of places to visit. I will get a guide book on Chile so I can get more info on the places Happy Trvlr suggested. We had friends who took a boat ride from Bariloche to Chile last year so may have been the one you were referring to. They said it was the highlight of their trip.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 09:12 AM

The lakes crossing comany is Cruce de Lagos
( www.crucedelagos.com)You will travel from Bariloche through two national parks( Argentina, and Chile) by bus and boat.
I recommend staying overnight in Peulla at Hotel Natura although Hotel Peulla looked fine.It is a very long day if you go straight through. You will go through Chilean immigration just before entering the hamlet of Peulla.You will picked up at your hotel in Bariloche and delivered to your hotel in Puerto Varas or Puerto Montt.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 11:51 AM

No matter where you go, you are going to wish you had more time! All those places are absolutely incredible. My favorite is probably Bariloche, but BA and Mendoza are also awesome. One piece of advice for Bariloche- I was quite impressed with the bus system there- it was very easy and painless to ride all around the city (it's not a huge place). The same, though to a slightly lesser extent, goes for Mendoza. So, if you are looking to save a little bit of green (both money and nature) you might want to consider scrapping the rental car idea. It really depends of your style, but I was more than ok without it. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers!
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

With regards to the lakes crossing.. Once you get to Puerto Vara, Chile, how far is it to Santiago? I like the idea of scrapping the rental car but we want to tour the wineries so not sure how we would do that without a rental car although we could hire a car/driver to take us around. I am trying to figure how to get back to BA from there. Would we want to go on to Santiago and fly back?
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 10:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Why not scap Mendoza and do your winetasting in Chile.

Just a thought to save some time and money.

MY
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 01:22 PM

We stayed in Puerto Varas for two nights which we enjoyed, and then flew to Santiago, about an hour flight,very easy. There are many wonderful vineyards within an hour of Santiago.LAN airlines was a very good experience on both flights.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 03:22 AM

If I were you I would definitelly include SALTA and the NW of the Argentina, the food, wines and sceneries are unique. A great experience for those who dared to put it on the go-list!
Flintstones
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 05:16 AM

Red wine people???
What do you mean? You prefer red wine? The red grapes in the altitude develope a thicker skin to protect the seeds from the sun and, for that reason, has more concentration of tanins and sugar... so, maybe we do not have the amount of red wines the wineres produce in Mendoza... But our red wines are great also. San Pedro de YAcochuya... for instance s one of the top wines in the area regarding red wines. But also José Luis Mounnier and Nanni, and Domingo Hermanos have great reds!
But besides wines,... Salta and Jujuy has much more stunning sceneries to show you and make you feel in a different world. Every time I insisted on the NW people felt they made the right choice, that is why I dare to.
Warm regards.
Flintstones
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 12:20 PM

If anyone knows the NW, it is flintstones ! I would definitely pay attention to her advice ..
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 06:41 PM

We too are planning a similar trip so will be watching all comments and hopefully can share some as well. Have never been to So. Amer. but love the wines!!