Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Quick trip to Argentina & Chile - Need advice and help!

Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of a sudden DW and I are going to Argentina on Feb 25. We only have two weeks. In the middle of the trip, Mar 5, we are meeting our son (late 30’s) in Punta Arenas, Chile, as he debarks from a tour of duty on the Nathan B Palmer, IceBreaker, Research Vessel. He has been on a science expedition in the Admunson Sea. He has travelled a bit in both Argentina and Chile through the years. I know this is a pathetically small amount of time, but it’s the only chance we have. I’m not totally panicked, but close.

We must leave South America on Mar 12. We are in our mid 60’s, mildy active, but not able to hike long distances or altitude. We'd rather not stay in big chain hotels, opting instead for smaller boutique hotels, B&B's, etc. We do need private bath.

We generally like independent travel, but this trip has come up so fast, we have not had our normal planning time. However, I have armed myself with my trusty Fodor’s Argentina book and several past articles from travel magazines.

Our current plan is to arrive Buenos Aires and stay in the Palermo district (son’s recommendation) for a few days (2 or 3 full days?) to see the city. Then we would like to see Iguasu Falls for one night.

Then it gets kinda confusing. Do we have time to go to the Bariloche area before flying to Punta Arenas on the 4th? Is there different area we might take a look at?

After hooking up with him, touring his ship, and departing Punta Arenas, we have targeted Ushuaia and/or El Calafate. Theoretically, can we do both? Fly to Ushuaia, then fly to El Calafate?

Then is it possible to get from El Calafate to Santiago for the flight home? Can’t seem to find ways of getting from El Calafate to Santiago by air on Expedia. Is it possible? Would we have to return to BA to get back to the states?

I have looked at domestic Argentina flights via Expedia. Should I ticket in advance with Expedia? Book when I’m on the ground in Argentina? Use an Argentine TA?

See, this trip has come up suddenly, and I don’t have a lot of time to plan an itinerary, so I hope some Fodorites out there can come to the rescue. I won’t be able to respond until later in the day, but will be able to view any responses. Anyone? Thanks for any assistance.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 02:28 PM

Don't panic, you'll be fine! I will try to add a few things, and hopefully more people will jump in.

I think if you do Iguazu Falls after BA you won't have time to go to Bariloche. I would pick one or the other. You could easily spend more time in BA, it's a great city. Maybe add on a short trip over to Colonia in Uruguay? I loved Bariloche, but flights tend to go in and out of BA, so it's sometimes hard to fly from say Bariloche to Ushuaia without going back to BA, so I'm not sure about getting to Punta Arenas (you probably can, just not sure). If you do go to Bariloche,we loved Puema Hue (sort of an estancia) there. Try going to the LAN website to see where you can fly (I think it's LAN down there at least, someone correct me if I'm wrong.) I would also pick either El Calafate or Ushuaia, not both. I'll try to think of some more tips when I get home and check my notes. Have fun!
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:18 PM

Look at the Home Hotel in Palermo http://www.homebuenosaires.com/home/

Or go to Recoleta and stay at the Art Suites ApartHotel
www.artsuites.com.ar

About travel, one thing I think - you have to fly back to BA every time you go somewhere so you would fly to Iguazu and back then to Bariloche and back ...

I would use LAN.

It will all come together , this is exciting, coming to BA and seeing your boy
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I am gradually putting this together. Just realized my passport expires in May and need 6months after visit, so making a run to the passport office. Also, need visa to see the Brazil side of Iguazu.
Yes,Scarlett, I see that all things lead in and out of Buenos Aires. So I'm thinking that the first week will be Buenos Aires and Iguazu, then to Punta Arenas.
I realize seeing both Ushuaia and El Calafate is ambitious. Also, now DW wants to see Santiago before we go home.
I can't seem to find a way to Santiago Chile from El Calafate except to fly back to BA first, taking about 11-12 hours total transit time, and $500US each. Dont think that will work.
I am continuing to dig. Thanks for any ideas or assistance.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:57 PM

If you have to chose between Ushuaia or El Calafate, I would recommend El Calafate since you will have been in Punta Arenas and it would give you more variety.

Have you thought of a trip to Torres del Paine from Punta Arenas or maybe trying to do Bariloche at the end from Santiago since you can get to Santiago easily from Punta Arenas.

You can't go wrong among any of these locations.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 04:48 AM

The NW of Argentina is beautiful and it will be completelly different to any other scenery you have seen in your life before. BillJ, you and your DW will reallly enjoy this area.
I promise.
Flintstones.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 04:51 AM

There are flights between Bariloche and El Calafate and then on to Ushuaia on Aerolineas that do not go thru BA.
If you are interested in renting a private home outside Bariloche, please feel free to contact me.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM

I would suggest, BA, then onto Iguazu, then down to Bariloche.

From Bariloche take the lake crossing trip into Chile, which is a great experience. You end up in Puerto Montt, from there fly to Puerto Arenas.

See the penguins in Sero Otway (SP)and then go to the Torres Del Paine (only 3 hours from Puerto Arenas) which is an amazing place and will let you stay in Chile to make it easier to get back to Santiago. We stayed in Punta Natalas and just did a day trip into the TDP, but if you can get a room in one of the hosterias, I would recommend this. Local agents picked us up and guided us everywhere.

Then you just fly back up to Santiago from Puerta Arenas.

We have used a local TA for all our trips and been very pleased, I think it makes all the logistics much easier, especially if you don't speak Spanish.

Your son's job sounds really interesting.

Good luck.