Itinerary Help for BA, Uruguay & Santiago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip and need to make some decisions this weekend. I have found air into BA, arriving 12/30 and departing Santiago on 1/9. We are thinking about flying from BA straight to Monteviedo and staying until the 1st or 2nd and aren't even sure if Monteviedo is a good choice or if the coast would be better (or too crowded over the holiday?). Then flying back to BA and staying until the 3rd or 4th and then flying to Santiago. Then we are looking for side trips from there. We've been to BA previously so 2-3 days there should be ok (is the San Telemo market Saturday and Sunday each week)? The other option is staying in BA for 2-3 days and just a day trip to Colonia del Sacramento but it looked kind of touristy. Sorry to ask so many questions at once but just found these tickets and have them on hold for two days so I've go to put some things together quickly. All comments will be appreciated.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 08:33 AM

I would not choose Montevideo over BAires for a couple of days, unless there is something in particular you want to see in Montevideo or you have run out of things to see in BAires, which shouldn't be the case. Montevideo is still a relatively small city. Some really like it, others not so much.

A hop to Punta would be great but I imagine you won't find hotel reservations now, and most will have minimum stay requirements at that high time of the year. If you want to do that start emailing/calling now. Maybe some spot will fit you in a for a night or two, particularly if it is after January 1. A day trip to Colonia is easy but, again, depends if you really want to head over there. You may well better enjoy a day or day and evening spent at an Estancia near to BAires; there are many good ones.

Old Sep 12th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Reposting to bring to top and update the question. I think we've decided against Uruguay and are now looking at either Bariloche or the Salta area and would appreciate comments. Tickets have been arranged into BA and out of Santiago so now we have to put the land together.

Thank you
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 01:59 PM

I would suggest Bariloche and/or Villa La Angostura.

Fly LAN BA/Bariloche and Bariloche/BA/Santiago.

I believe LAN doesn´t fly directly Bariloche/Santiago.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 02:01 PM

Forgot to include my trademark salutation.

Have a great time in our country!