Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Going solo to Argentina this week? Can anyone suggest must-sees?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!
30-something female traveling solo to Argentina. (on a tour for half the time from BA to lake district to Chile). Can anyone recommend must-sees (be it a restaurant, place to see or shop) in BA and/or Bariloche? Thanks so much! I can't believe my flight day is almost here and I'm finally getting very excited as I've heard so many great things about Argentina on here and the exchange rate is incredible!
Cheers!
Alexa
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 10:43 AM

My favorite funky restaurant is Dada. It is very cool in a laid back way. Try the Dada Lomo. It is superb.

You will probably really enjoy shopping in Palermo Soho. It is great and especially hopping on the weekends. There are lots of great restaurants in Palermo Soho.

San Telmo is great on Sunday. I personally loved the crafts because they seemed to be unique and the vendors were pleasant.

The Evita Museum is very well done and we were surprised at how much we enjoyed it.

How many days do you have?
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 11:42 AM

I second the recommendation of the Evita Museum. A lovely museum, I thought quite interesting and have lunch or at least a snack in the cafe.

Recoleta- Cemetery, Feria on weekends, Belle Artes Museum, walk in the Parks.. walk along Ave Alvear .. wherever you go , take lots of stops for an outdoor cafe - cup of coffee and enjoy the people watching..

After you leave the Evita Museum, walk over to the Botanical Gardens.. say hello to some cats :- )

Go to Palermo Viejo.. start at the corner of Honduras and Armenia and just wander, you will end up in Soho and you can really spend a whole day wandering, eating and shopping..actually, you can do that all over town lol...

From San Telmo, walk to Puerto Madero .. walk along the Riverfront..

It has been quite warm but I think the temps will be going down a bit soon.. Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 08:23 PM

bookmarking
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Great tips. Thank you both so much! I have a total of 3 days in BA..probably not enough time. Good to hear about the weather!
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:05 PM

3 days ... plan them well and you will see a lot... enough to give you a taste and make you want to come back for a few weeks at least :- )
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 08:36 AM

Hire Marcelo, my young (professional and certified) guide. He'll come to your hotel and you two hail a taxi to a restaurant. While dining at lunch, tell him your interests, and he'll more than accommodate your needs. You need a porteno to orient you to this beautiful and vast city, and by your traveling solo, you need a companion who knows the ins and outs of his environs.

I, a male, used his services in 2007 and have been recommending him ever since. At his website: www.ciceroneba.com.ar, Marcelo has listed reviews of his services which were given by previous travelers who have used his services.

Since there is so much to see and do, I would be hard pressed to make a lot of suggestions at this close date to your trip, but I'd recommend going to the Galerias Pacifico for its ambiance and artistic beauty if you are not interested in shopping. Go to Recoleta and to La Borca and other relevant barrios. Go to the restaurant that purports to be a haven for empanadas; Marcelo knows to what I am alluding to here. Go to Cafe Tortoni, the oldest cafe in BA, and lastly buy DK's Eyewitness ARGENTINA. You can read and mark and involve yourself in your interests while you'll traveling.

Have a wonderful time, and I would be interested in hearing about your trip at this blog when you return!
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 09:56 AM

Lunch at Don Julio (outdoors on the street corner).

4691 Guatemala (at corner of Gurruchaga)

Get the steak with the chimichurri sauce, and some papas fritas. The salchicha is great too.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 10:19 AM

Go the Plaza San Martin to see the Buddy Bears exhibit. You're in for a treat. Second the recommendation for Dada. We were there last week. The lomo is delicious.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 11:04 AM

http://www.cicerones.org.ar/index_spa.php
Or use the real Cicerones for a tour that is Free.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone! I am so excited- this time tomorrow night I will be on the flight to BA!
I have written down all of your tips.
Eddwarm- I would LOVE to use the guide you recommended. However, I am on a tight budget this trip (was laid off from my job!) so I will have to hold off on using your highly recommended guide until my next visit, which I hope will be longer!
I will post on this blog when I'm back and I have my own blog at http://tudorcitygirl.blogspot.com to journal my S. American adventures.
Thanks again!
Alexa
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 07:01 PM

Alexa, as I said, the Cicerones are free. Look at the website and see how you feel about it. It is a wonderful organization and you pick what you want to see and where etc.
Tailor made for you..
Have a great trip ... do not leave your handbag over the back of a chair or anywhere but on you Chau !!
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 07:02 PM

http://www.cicerones.org.ar/index_eng.php?newLang=eng
Here is the website in English
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 01:22 PM

i'd say you gotta see a tango show (a real one, not a tourist trap) a football game, tigre and an art fair or two. Oh, and if you really want a argentine experience, drink some mate! Have a great trip, and let me know if you need any other help!

Cheers!
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 06:30 PM

Definitely hook up with a Cicerone...a great way to see the city.

Where are you staying? If in Belgrano, give the Posada restaurant at Blanco Encalda and Obligado, I think it was, a try. Great steaks, wonderful service, and very reasonably priced.

Tigre was definitely worth a day, we thought. We did a river tour for several hours and thought the time and money very well spent.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 07:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Lake crossing..stay overnight at Hotel Natura in Peulla or at least have lunch there if you are traveling through in one day. The food is great and the setting rustic chic. You'll have a 4 hour lay over in Peulla regardless.
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Wow..I didnt realize they are free. How cool!! Thanks to everyone for the great tips. I had a great 2 days in BA. Now in Chile where it is raining and cold every day. Once I spend a couple days in Santiago, i return to BA for a few days and will use all your great suggestions!
Cheers!