12 days in Argentina

Apr 9th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

12 days in Argentina

Will be in Argentina for 10-12 days in mid-August visiting my daughter who is spending the semester in Buenos Aires - wanted to spend some time in BA and then one 3 night side trip - was thinking of Salta City. My daughter + her sister and more into interesting towns than nature so I don't think the Iguaza Falls would be as interesting to them. Also, seems like heading north in August is the way to go. Is 3 nights enough for Salta? Is the traveling by plane too much work for such a short trip? Should I use a travel agent to plan the side trip? Thanks - first trip to Argentina so I'm a little overwhelmed.
Apr 9th, 2011, 02:54 PM

It is hard to think that someone would not be interested in Iguazu Falls :- )
While you are here in Buenos Aires, you can take a day trip to Colonia Uruguay which would be an " interesting town " .. a World Heritage site, google it and see photos, it is charming and very different from BA so it might be a nice day away.
August will be cold.
(If I took 3 days to get out of BA but wanted a city, I would go to Rio lol)
I am sure someone who knows Salta will eventually post here to help you.
Have fun with your planning !
http://www.batravelguide.com/ This lady is extremely helpful and nice and can give you advice, information or whatever you need and her website is very nice.
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:32 AM

Well, traveler124, if your DDs are "more into interesting towns than nature", it would seem that perhaps you should simply stay in BA, as I feel one goes to Salta or Iguazú mostly for the views.

That said, August is a wonderful time to visit our Northern provinces in general.

Should you decide to do that side trip, I suggest you use the TA Argentina forum's search feature http://tinyurl.com/nw9f4
to research these two names: Angie and Isabel.

One is a Salta guide and the other one is a local travel agent. If you like what you read about them, contact them.

Have a great time in our country with your DDs!
Apr 11th, 2011, 05:01 AM

I agree with the above comments, Iguazu is a gorgeous place that shouldnt be missed if your in the country. However if your looking for a simple day trip without so much outdoor adventure, a trip to Colonia or Montevideo in Uruguay would be nice. Also a simple train ride to Tigre would be fun. Check out website www.bsas4u.com.

They have activities that you can book in buenos aires along with outside trip information. You can simple book everything with them. I recommend it.

Have a fun trip!
Apr 11th, 2011, 05:53 AM

Some very interesting small towns can be found in the midst of scenic areas....Salta city? Not so much....but Cafayate is a very charming town in the area.

Going the other direction....San Martin de los Andes is a fascinating village surrounded by pristine lakes and mountains. August is ski season.

I agree with others that Iguazu is a fabulous site, even for those who are not easily impressed by nature. Unfortunately, I would not consider Puerto Iguazu even remotely charming, at least not in the sense of Cafayate or San Martin de los Andes.
Apr 11th, 2011, 12:08 PM

I absolutely loved IF. But if you want a city, then I wouldnt head there. I agree with Dr D. -- Loved Cafayate and San Martin de los Andes ( we weren't there during ski season, but it was hopping this past March). Have a fun trip!