Flights to Maui from Oahu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had experience with the prop planes that fly from Oahu to Maui? We are planning to fly from Oahu to Maui next month. We will be staying on the West side of Maui, and see that there is a regional airport very close to where we are staying. However, this airport only handles small prop planes. The international airport is much further away, but we would be able to take a jet there. Does anyone have any advice?
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 06:57 PM

Yes. My advice is to look at the overall time to get where you want to go, the total cost associated with both alternatives, convenience factors like when the flight takes place, etc. Then pick the best for you.

If your concern is prop vs. jet, and one or the other makes you nervous, weigh that in. I have always felt safest in a DC-3, because they are "one-with-the-air". But they're essentially gone. In my case, prop vs. jet wouldn't enter into the decision.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 07:51 PM

Also, if you'll be renting a car, check the difference is prices for the two locations. Its been years since I flew to Kapalua, but I remember that cars cost nearly twice as much over there.
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 10:05 AM

I've flown into Kapalua several times for business and while the planes that fly there are smaller than the jets going to Kahului, they weren't so small that there was a significant difference in flight experience (IMO).

However, as mentioned, the cost of the flight and rental car could be more expensive. Depending on what time you arrive, taxis can also be scarce and you might have to wait for them to call one if you're not quick enough to snag one of the few that are waiting.
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 02:04 PM

The flight is so short, I doubt the prop planes will bother you much. I'm assuming though, that you are talking about Island Air, and not some other service that uses Cessnas.