Best Swimming Beach for Couple

Old Feb 8th, 2018, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Swimming Beach for Couple

Hi - my husband and I are doing a two and a half week trip to Thailand to celebrate his 40th and get some couple time away from our kids. We'll be spending a few days in bangkok, a few days in Chiang Mai and want to do a week on the beach. We'll be going in mid-December. I'd love recommendations on a good place to stay on the beach - we're open to which island is best but have been looking at Phuket, Koh Samui, Railay, and Ko Lanta. What I'd really like is a luxurious 4/5 star hotel that is right on the beach somewhere in the $200ish per night range (although cheaper is always great). It's important we be on a beach we can swim, we don't care much about the pool, we want to spend most of our time sitting and swimming comfortably on the beach. We'd ideally like to be in an area where we can leave the hotel for some of our meals and have cheap massages nearby (don't want to overpay for hotel spa and the like). We're pretty open to ideas of islands, as long as they're not impossible to get to (don't want to spend two days traveling there and back). Really appreciate any recommendations.
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 10:50 AM

Be aware that December is the most expensive time of the year travel to beaches in Thailand. If you can push your beach time to the first part of the trip, you'll get better prices. Hotel prices on the beaches often double or more during the second half of December. For your requirements, I'd choose a place on the Andaman Sea rather than the Gulf of Thailand. Phuket, Krabi (Railay is a beach in Krabi), Koh Lak, Ko Lanta, etc are all options. I'd recommend you search for a hotel first - look at one or ore of the big booking sites - then come back and ask for input.
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie. I've spent a lot of time looking at hotels on tripadvisor and agoda and am struggling to find the right fit. That's why I was hoping for suggestions through this forum. Ko Lanta beaches don't seem that swimmable. Railay beach in krabi the good resorts all seem unreasonably expensive. I'm a bit overwhelmed by Phuket - the hotels that stuck out to be were the Nai Harn, Sala Phuket, and Katathani Phuket. Not sure if you have any specific thoughts on those or any other suggestions. Haven't looked at Koh Lak yet so will research that one. Appreciate your help.
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 12:19 PM

We just returned from three and a half weeks in Thailand - spent our final week on the beach.

We stayed at Kata Beach - maybe not as secluded or private as what you are looking for, as there are many tourists; however it is more family oriented than some of the party towns, and while we didn't have any children with us, we were not interested in a party atmosphere. We stayed at Chanalai Garden Resort, and loved swimming in the clear warm water and sitting in lounge chairs on the beach. The resort was lovely, and there are lots of restaurants all around the busy little town. A caveat - we weren't there over the Christmas holidays; it seems like it might be more crowded at the time you're planning to go. It's about a five minute walk from the hotel to being on the beach.

https://www.chanalai.com/en/resorts/garden-resort
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 10:09 PM

In December I fear you may be struggling for along time for a luxurious 4/5 star hotel for <$200. I would have suggested the Pimalai on Koh Lanta. a long time since we were there but it is a wonderful hotel but probably >$300 per night these days.Koh Lanta is a big island and has developed a lot in recent year but in think it would be possible still to find some less crowded beaches for swimming. The very best beaches are usually claimed by the big hotel chains.

This site is pretty good for providing sensible, up to date info on places to stay https://www.travelfish.org/country/thailand#islands

Khao Lak is close to Phuket. I would rent car from the airport to get there and to get around as it can be a bit spread out. lots of local restaurants serving decent food but mostly adapted for western taste. Plenty of cheap massage places in the town and on the beach. It has changed a lot since the tsumami and now attracts a lot of Northern European visitors. you can expect to see sausage and mash, meatballs and sauerkraut on the menus! it is a good jumping off point for a visit to Khao Sok national Park which is definitely worth a visit. The beaches are fine and less crowded than many on Phuket ( although they do lack the scenic backdrops of many of those.) and fine for swimming. The Sarojin is a nice lux hotel there or maybe if you can get a deal with a chain hotel, The JW Marriott. I imagine both will be over budget but you may get a deal
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 12:19 AM

Phuket

Nai Harn is one of the best beaches on the island and The Nai Harn hotel is lovely, great rooms and pool area. There are few local restaurants within walking distance and you are a few minutes away from the village which has a wider selection. You can also pop over the hill to Yanui beach and there is a lovely little beach for snorkelling just a few minutes from the hotel.

Kata and Karon are classed as good for families, both beaches are good. Lots of restaurants and shops in both places. Kata Noi is a lovely beach, best hotels are The Shore at Katathani and then Kata Rocks followed by Mom Tri which is directly on the beach.

Look at the Meridian which is on its own beach, easy to get transport into Patong or Karon.

Avoid Patong

Kamala and Surin - nice beaches but few good hotels directly on the beach, The Surin may be worth a look. Twinpalms is very nice and a short walk to the beach but they have taken away all the beach restaurants. You possibly get to use Catch Beach Club when staying at Twinpalms.

Bangtao - good beach stretching from Bangtao up to Layan...best hotels are in the Laguna area where you can still have sunbeds and umbrellas. Angsana is huge family hotel with Xana beach club, Dusit is good, Banyan Tree is the top one, first two directly on beach. You will need to get out into Cherngtalay/Tinlay Place which has a great selection of restaurants, shops and markets. Restaurants will do free pick up.

With all the beaches you need to watch the flags as there are rip tides and the life guard situation is iffy!