Search

Grand Canyon in half a day

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon in half a day

Hi guys

My wife and I will have a long layover in Phoenix and we are planning to rent a car and visit the Grand Canyon. We should be out of the airport at around 8 am and our flight leaves at 1:00 am (red eye). The plan is to have a quick breakfast on our way to the canyon, arrive at around 12:30 pm an we'd stay there until 7:00 pm or so.
So what would be the main point to visit at the GC?
Is the IMAX worth it (in terms of time and $$)?
How bad is traffic at 7:00 pm from GC to PHX on a weekday?
Are there place to eat at GC?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 02:56 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
What month and what time is sunset? You won't get much out of it and you run the risk of hitting an animal in the dark between the South Rim and Williams.
If you really want to see a beautiful place with the time you have, try a trip to Sedona.
Come to Arizona when you have more than 2 days to visit JMHO.
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 03:10 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The traffic won't be bad returning to Phoenix. But the drive up will start in very bad morning commute traffic, so count on 4.5 hours plus your b'fast stop - you won't get to the GC by 12:30 if you stop along the way. The trip back will take maybe 3.5-4 hours.

Do you really want to be on the road 8-9 hours?
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 03:11 PM

I agree. Driving from the south rim after dark is not a good idea. It will be dark, dark, dark, and large animals are always out along the road (deer, elk, mostly). Could mean missing your flight or much worse.

Tomfuller is spot on. Sedona is only 2 hours from PHX and has great scenery. It would be a much more leisurely trip.
Old Feb 14th, 2015, 08:05 AM

As you can see, your plan is not getting a lot of support. However, if you are determined to see the Grand Canyon under adverse circumstances--do it. Yes, there are places to eat at the Grand Canyon, and no--don't waste your time going to IMAX when you could be in the canyon.

On the other hand, you could spend your time around Tucson. We have three favorite drives there: up Mt. Lemmon, over Grants Pass in Tucson Mountain Park, and through the Ricon Mountain District of Saguaro National Park. The Desert Museum and Sabino Canyon are two additional exceptional attractions in the Tucson area.

HTtY
Old Feb 14th, 2015, 08:27 AM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
This just seems like too long of a day for me. Especially if you've been traveling since early in the morning. We went just from Page to Phoenix with a stop at the Grand Canyon and I couldn't wait to get out of the car when I got to Phoenix. Sedona is nice if you have never been and not too far. It would be more relaxing.

If you still insist on the Grand Canyon, skip the IMAX and just head into the park. Park your car at one of the lots and use the shuttle. It's hard to find parking by the hotels directly on the rim. Not impossible but a pain. Parking might not be an issue depending on when you go so just kept this in mind.
Old Feb 14th, 2015, 12:19 PM

IF you drift down to Tucson, ensure your visit this cave. It is a premium 'alive' cave.

https://azstateparks.itinio.com/kartchnercaverns/tours/

Vaga
Old Feb 14th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your support, I really appreciate it. We are going on May 14 so sunset will be at around 8 pm. I will definitely check Sedona out but you need to understand our excitement to see the GC. I definitely understand the risks and 2 days would be ideal. Will try to see if I can change my flight but most likely will not be cheap.

Again... Thank you all very much.