Search

Yucatan Hacienda

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yucatan Hacienda

I am planning a trip to the Yucatan for 8 or 9 days at Christmas and would like to combine a hacienda stay and some sightseeing with 4 or 5 days on the beach. I've stayed at Ikal del Mar and visited Tulum and Coba.

I was thinking of Maroma for the beach stay for the second half of the vacation after visiting one or possibly two haciendas - ideally, well located so I can see some ruins and towns. Could someone recommend an itinerary? Should I rent a car or hire a driver? Should I fly to Merida and out of Cancun or in and out of Cancun? I am eager to stay in the nicest haciendas that best capture the area. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 03:16 PM

Have you looked at the haciendas on locogringo.com? There's some lux stuff there. I think they also book Maroma. I've heard many places are fully booked during the holidays; hope you aren't too late.

Ideally, flying into Merida and out through Cancun would save you a long drive on either end of your trip by about 4-5 hours.

Sorry, haven't been to Merida, so I don't have anything to offer.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 06:28 PM

www.meridainsider.com has a good message board for info on Merida.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:13 PM

Stayed at Hacienda Chichen where you can walk to the ruins. It was very nice. Our room was simple. Food was very good. Only stayed one night.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Combining Hacienda stay and beach vacation is an excellent idea - you are getting the best of both world. My husband and I’ve been to Hacienda Xcanatun and Temozon and we liked both of them. If location is important, it would be Xcanatun – it’s only 10 min drive from Merida. Pls note that haciendas are former factories and plantation owner residences – thus usually built away from the town.

Xcanatun
We stayed at suite, which had French windows on both side of the room opening to the veranda overlooking the central courtyard. It is very romantic and beautiful place.
Pro: proximity to Merida, reasonably priced great restaurant, service (many speak English), great spa service.
Con: Pool area is rather small.

Temozon
Our suite came with private plunge pool! Room had very colonial feel. It has beautiful tiling. Temozon is part of Starwood/Westin (Luxully Collection). You should also check their other hacienda in Yucatan - Santa Rosa and San Jose.
Pro: Large open space. Well maintained garden. Huge pool.
Con: Food – mediocre, limited menu, and pricey for the quality.

Re: flying, if you can fly non-stop to Cancun, I would do that and rent a car and drive to Hacienda (about 3 hours). When we went to Temozon we tried flying to Merida via Mexico City – connection transfer was a nightmare and we wished we flew into Cancun.