Yellow fever - Lake Titicaca?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is yellow fever a problem in the Lake Titicaca area? We will be in Juliaca and Puno in February. Also making an overnight homestay on Amantani Island. We're not traveling through Bolivia, so we are not required to show proof of the YF vaccine.

The vaccine is expensive ($200 pp) and we will have to travel about an hour from our home in order to get it.

Does anyone have an idea of whether it is necessary to have that vaccine for travel to Lake Titicaca?
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 09:23 AM

I would recommend that you get the yellow fever vaccine. It is recommended for pretty much every Latin American country, and required in others (plus, there are odd combinations - like, if you have been to Venezuela in the last X months, one is mandatory for Colombia, but it's not mandatory normally, except in certain circumstances....) . Protecting your health might cost a little upfront, but it can certainly save alot either during your trip, or afterwards. I don't know where you live, but keep looking on the web for places for the shot - there are many times other options if you search them out......
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 09:32 AM

You may already have this, but here's the CDC's Peru recommendations page:

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinati....aspx#mal_risk

I hope you'll post a travelogue for us!
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 01:41 PM

I beg to differ with Debi - we went to a travel clinic who carefully looked at our itinerary (which included Lake Titicaca, Juliaca, Puno and Amantani) and were told Yellow Fever was unnecessary and shouldn't be taken unless needed. If you look at the CDC map provided by hopefulist Puno is outside of the YF area.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 01:56 PM

Yellow Fever is a jungle disease

does not occur EVER at Titicaca

elevation 12000 feet.

YF NOT required for entry to Peru.

Unless I am headed for the jungle

I always skip it...

Old Dec 30th, 2008, 07:02 AM

The YF vaccine is expensive but it does last for 10 years. Many countries, some in South America and most in Africa will insist upon it if you are traveling from what is considered to be an infected area (there are quite a few around the world). You may wish to consider getting it if you plan to travel extensively in these areas. We got just about every innoculation going (22 in total) before setting off for some voluntary work in Sierra Leone and are glad we did as we dont have to worry for some time now.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies and advice. We have decided to forego the YF vaccine for this trip, as we will not be anywhere that the CDC deems it a risk. As of now, we do not have future plans to travel to any areas where YF is a problem, so I don't want to spend the money to have an unneeded vaccine that will begin to time out as soon as I have it. Someday - I would love to see Africa ... but for now I am thinking a return to my favorite country, Spain, for later this year and no need there.