Search

Question for SharonNRayMc

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for SharonNRayMc

Hi Sharon,
Hope you don't mind me asking you questions re. your Peru & Bolivia trip.

I'm on the fence about getting a Yellow Fever shot, we are going to Manu. The Manu sales rep said it wasn't necessary as we aren't going as deep into the jungles as the 5 or 6 day trips (we are doing the 4 day/3 night trip and staying at the Manu Cloud Forest Lodge). But when crossing into Bolivia from Puno, will they check for YF vaccination papers?

Also is it easy to change money at the border?

Thanks so much for any advice you can share with me.
Tina
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:32 PM

Hi Tina,

No problem asking questions. I am happy to provide some answers.

<b>Yellow Fever</b>
Get the yellow fever shot. (By the way, I am not in any way medically trained, so my word means nothing...) I suggest checking out the information on the US Center for Disease Control's website and perhaps have a discussion with your your physician.

This link provides a map of Africa and South America where you need to be prepared for yellow fever:

http://www2.ncid.cdc.gov/travel/yb/u...ver.htm#yfmaps

This chart shows yellow fever and malaria requirements by country:

http://www2.ncid.cdc.gov/travel/yb/u...sNav=browseoyb

You will note that Bolivia requires the shot if traveling from an endemic area. Since you will cross at Lake Titikaka, which is not endemic, it is likely you will not be asked to show proof of the yellow fever vaccine.

We crossed from Bolivia into Peru and there were no checks. I can't say for certain for the other direction.
As far as crossing borders go, you probably would not have a problem crossing in the high Andes.

As far as health goes, I would not want yellow fever. The shot is not that difficult to get, and it is good for ten years. It's not like taking the malaria pills, which I always find to be a total pain.

You might also want to read this info from the CDC, if you have not already done so:

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/tropsam.htm#vaccines

<b>Money Changing at the Peru/Bolivia border</b>
It is very easy to change money at the border. You will be able to do so either in Peru or in Bolivia. The border rates were not bad at all.

- Sharon
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

hi sharon,

thanks for your reply. i have looked at the cdc website. the yellow fever area is kinda sketchy as to where we are going, that's why i am so on the fence.

i may just bite the bullet and get it.

how is your trip planning going?

tina
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 07:45 PM

Tina,

So sorry for not checking back in on Fodor's any sooner than this. I would love to chat more with you about your upcoming trip. Ray and I have made two previous trips to Peru, one to Bolivia and we are looking forward to our third Peru trip this summer.

I turned my e-mail address on, so that might be a better way to contact me if you have any other questions.

As for our trip planning, it is just about finalized. We should have it all worked out in about a month. I just love planning and looking forward to a new trip!

- Sharon
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 07:52 PM

Tina,

One more thing... the according to my Peru map, it looks like the whole of Manu is in the yellow fever area.

Ray and I still need to get our shots! And, I don't want to dally too long, because I know you sometimes have to make an appointment a long ways out.

- Sharon
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:22 AM

ttt