Windsurf in Rio or Buzios?

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windsurf in Rio or Buzios?

I posted this message yesterday, but it never appeared on the forum. So here it is again (my apologies if I am mistaken and this is a duplicate.) Has anyone been windsurfing in Rio or Buzios? I am a beginner, so I am hoping I can find a spot that is not too challenging. I have had a few lessons, and now I am going out when I can to practice. If it is possible, I would love to take a lesson while I am in Brazil. I looked at some online sites with information about Buzios, but they recommend one beach for windsurfing because it has big waves (!?) I am definitely not ready to sail in big waves.
I will be there in August, so I know the water will be a bit chilly.
Any advice?

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 03:16 PM

I went wind surfing in Buzios quite a few years ago -- off of Ilha Rasa. (Rasa Island.) There was a lovely island pousada there called Nas Rocas, but I don't believe it is open anymore. It was an ideal place to windsurf and the waves were not that big. There is a Pousada right on Rasa Beach called Pousada Praia Rasa. Perhaps it would work out for you there.
Here is the URL
http://www.praiarasa.com.br/
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 06:07 PM

Thanks, Jill. I checked out the web site....what a beautiful place! I will look into Rasa Beach. Any other suggestions for my time in Buzios?
Elena
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:49 AM

hi, yeah, go diving, rent a beach buggy and go and explore all the various coves, bays and beaches off the beaten track, enjoy the great night life, check out arraial dos cabos and cabo frio, the first especially for snorkeling and diving. Rio will be tougher for windsurfing as ocean waves. How long are you spending in each place. Like a bit of action? Go hang-gliding in Rio. It's fab.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:53 AM

hi,although the site is in port you can check water temp , height of waves etc on http://ricosurf.globo.com/
it has buzios, rio etc, just click on, temp da agua is water temp, tamanho is size of waves etc.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:56 PM

I think we may have discussed this many years in the past but like Jill I too have stayed in Nas Rocas, what a great place that was, hotels/Bungalows on an island.

I have seen a lot of windsurfing in Barra Da Tijuca in Rio.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

I will be in Buzios for three days and then in Rio for about a week. When I get to Buzios, I am going to see if the Hotel can help me set up a windsurfing outing. Other than that, I plan to spend some time relaxing on the beaches and walking around. I will be traveling by myself, but I have seen several posts describe Buzios as relatively safe. I will also check out Barra da Tijuca when I am in Rio. The waves there might be too much for me at this point. I am still very much a novice, although I am having a wonderful time practicing here in San Diego. So far, the trickies part seems to be getting back to where I started.
Thanks again for your suggestions.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 01:47 PM

hi, if you need any tips for rio feel free to ask, restaurants, places to go by day and night, etc. You'll love both places, stay preferably in Ipanema over copacabana. Enjoy!
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 06:39 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbhR_...elated&search=