Search

Beaches in Brazil other than Copa and Ipanema

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2011, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beaches in Brazil other than Copa and Ipanema

Hi all,

Does anyone have a suggestion for a beach to go to other than Copacabana and Ipanema? Are any of the beaches safe to swim in? It sounds like there is a lot of pollution so therefore not much swimming. I've researched online a little bit and am really not sure. My wife and I are looking for something safe, pictureseque, relatively easy to get to from the Copacabana area, and that prefarably has food options nearby for lunch .

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 08:23 AM

"Beaches in Brazil other than Copa and Ipanema"
Well, the annual beach guide that Guia 4 Rodas (the big Brazilian guidebook company) puts out lists over 2000, with details.
But then, the body of your post changes the issue altogether saying "relatively easy to get to from the Copacabana area"

I think your conclusions about pollution and people not swimming are a bit off. In Copacabana/Ipanema, I'd say locals may not swim much because the surf is high and, for them, the water is cold, and the air temp as well, a good part of the year.
Around Rio, I would suggest taking the ferry across to Niteroi to enjoy the beaches there. You could also figure out how to get to Joa and back. Or go out to Prainha or somewhere in that direction, on or past Barra de Tijuca.
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 01:29 AM
VAE

Go to north-est. Cities like Salvador or Maceio state have great beaches. Take a look at this website (from Brazil's government) http://www.braziltour.com
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 09:01 AM

You'd think the *government* tourism site could find someone whose English was good enough to actually write properly ! Is an unintelligible site for foreign tourists worth the cost of putting up on the web?
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 07:19 AM

As local, I would say beaches are beautiful, no pollution. Ipanema, Arpoador (next to Ipanema) Barra, Equestrian is right, Prainha past Barra, Barra da Tijuca is lovely!! try in front of Golden Green condominium, or in front Reserva. OH you will get tired of so many beaches...the weather is great. If you want other cities Vae is right: maceio, Salvador, Natal, Fortaleza... enjoy
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 09:42 PM

Grumari Beach south of Rio is stunning. Sunsets are spectacular.