Which Park Hotel in Buenos Aires?

Old Feb 11th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Park Hotel in Buenos Aires?

We are trying to narrow which Park Hotel (Elegance, Chateau, or Plaza) to stay in BA. Would like to be near the Recoleta area for evenings as well as a good jumping off point for visiting the city. Which to choose? Also, what transportation to use to visit other parts of BA?
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 02:51 PM

A good jumping off point would be Park Central Kempinsky at 1174 Roque Saenz Peña 50 meters from the Obelisk. Recoleta is 15 blocks from here. Plaza de Mayo, Retiro, San Telmo and Puerto Madero are within walking distance. The subway takes you to Palermo. The rest should be done by bus. To go to Tigre and Delta you can take the normal train at Retiro Station which takes 55 minutes and costs 0.95 pesos one way. The touristy "Tren de la Costa" runs between Tigre and Mitre Station in the province of Buenos Aires.

Jorge Daniel Barchi.
Buenos Aires.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Jorge,

Thanks for the help, but I don't think I want to walk 15 blocks at night to Recoleta area. Which of the other Park Hotels would be in that area but still closer to sites. Someone mentioned one of them was closer to the garment district?
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 09:23 AM

The Park Plaza is closest to the Village Recoleta, and is also the nicest of the Park Hotels in Buenos Aires.

By garment district are you referring to the leather district? If so, none of the hotels are particularly close...probably a 5-6 peso cab ride away, on Murillo street...
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Havana

DO NOT STAY AT THE PARK CHATEAU! What a dump. They have a lovely website & advertise a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom penthouse for $175 US dollars per night. I reserved same for 10 nights. We arrived 5 days ago only to be told they do not have a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom penthouse! They couldn't understand how there could be 500 websites that state that they DO have such an accommodation. We spent a night there, then spent most of the next day scoping out B.A. for a new hotel. Spent 2nd night at Chateau before moving to the Design Suites & Towers which is where I am at this moment. It's super-neat, design-oriented minimalism, and the rooms have a kitchenette which is very convenient. Great location in Recoleta. I highly recommend this spot, & based on our experience at Park Chateau, I, personally, would stay far away from the Kempinski hotel chain!

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 06:19 AM

Agree with your assessment of some Kempenski hotels....the exception is the Park Plaza, which is quite nice and in a much better location than Design Suites....technically Design Suites is in Barrio Norte on Marcelo T de Alvear, and not in Recoleta....not a bad location, but not as centrally located as the Park Plaza......Havana, have you had a problem with thin walls at Design Suites? This has been the one complaint about the rooms...that and the one room suites are small....
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Havana

No, I have not. Anyone who'd say such a thing hasn't stayed here. I'll tell you why. The layout of the hotel is four 8-story ?towers? with just one room on each of the floors! Therefore, there is no other room on any side of yours - just a cement wall & the outside air. There is no sound from above or below either. Again, we're talking cement floor & ceiling.
We don't have a one-room suite, but the larger version with a bedroom, living room and kitchenette w/dining area. It's plenty big for my family of 3 (including a 10-yr-old).
We really love it here, and we scoped out many hotels before choosing it.

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Havana

Forgot to mention the really nice breakfast (included)at Design Suites. There are a number of fresh-baked breads & pastries, as well as FRESH SQUOZE orange juice, yummy coffee & a pitcher of steamed milk. Also several bowls of condiments (jams, and CARAMEL! which is a hit with the younger set). Also - it's a buffet, so you can fill up your coffee & steamed milk, as well as fresh! OJ as many times as you like. The staff is young, hip, professional & nice. I really love this place.

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 01:45 PM

Stayed at the Park plaza last Sept for 12 days .Great small hotel with friendly staff,nice rooms,(had a suite)and the breakfast was included.Great location and they arranged gym membership for free near by...Hope to go back soon...
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 05:54 AM

Hello Havana, I hate to disagree with you, before finding a better hotel
(Argenta Towers) we stayed two nights at the Design Suites, beautiful design I agree, but our room had a room next door, only one, and the thin walls were a nightmare.
We could listen to their TV at 3 AM and plus.
The breakfast was fine, but for instances in the Argenta Tower in my opinion is twice as good, much, much better. On the arrival night we had a light dinner there and it was really BAD, micro heated dishes. Very bad.
I love their web site, I like their minimalist lobby , and also it is not located in the Recoleta Area. Nor is the Argenta, but I like more where it is. Frankly I would not recomend the Design Suites because of the thin walls. You have been lucky with your room, and I am glad for you.

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Havana

Wow! I'm sorry to have posted misinformation. Since we're in one of the 2-room suites w/kitchenette, I assumed (wrongly, apparently) that all of the rooms were like ours, and didn't have anyone on the other side of the walls.
Our experience with the in-house restaurant is also different from yours. We've had all lunches & dinners out because there are soooo many fabulous restaurants. Last night, however, we were too beat & ordered a pizza & an omelette from the hotel restaurant. My pizza was a super fresh/home-made gourmet experience, and my daughter proclaimed that her omelette was even better than the one she'd had for lunch at an exquisite restaurant called CABERNET in Palermo district. Elegant, elegant restaurant. Highly recommend!
So there you have it. I'm sure some people have terrible experiences at the Four Seasons. Not many, but it must happen!

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 09:13 AM

Hi Havana, I am glad your dinner experience was fine, good for you.
May be they changed the system
( we stayed there in June 2003),I agree there are so many good restaurants in Buenos Aires that it should not be a problem even if it is not so good.
Good luck, have fun.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 08:27 AM

Does anyone have info on the Park Elegance? How close is this to Recoleta? I have a reservation here for mid-March. Thanks
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 02:04 PM

I am thinking of the Park Tower Sheraton for a 30th aniversary in May. Is it worth the extra cost?
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 07:45 PM

It is another Sheraton. There are several nicer de luxe hotels in Buenos Aires. The sheraton has a nice pool which you might like if you go during the Summer.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 07:01 PM

Just back from Park Plaza. Had a basic room for $60 a night including breakfast. Staff very helpful, restaurant at night very mediocre. Great location and with cabs so inexpensive could go anywhere for next to nothing. Had a FABULOUS meal at La Bourgogne at the 5 star Alvear Palace Hotel. Expensive for Argentina but worth it. A friend stayed there this month for around $235 a night which is a good deal for that kind of service.