Which hotel in Cancun???

May 6th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Which hotel in Cancun???

HELP!!!! Okay, my sister and I are going to Cancun from June 11-18. We're in between four hotels. We're 24 and 30, so we want a hotel with the least amount of children and more of an adult crowd. Which one do you recommend out of LE Meridien, JW Marriott, Ritz CArlton, Fiesta Americana Coral Beach. Please help us. We're clueless. All four hotels look fabulous and the price range is around the same. We need all the help we can get. Thanks!
May 7th, 2003, 08:46 AM

Out of those 4 hotels, I would think they each have about the same ratio of adults to kids which would be mostly adults, some children. There are a few hotel chains that have a higher ratio of families with children, but I would think that anyone of those 4 you mentioned would have more adults than children.

The new Golden Crown Paradise Club is adult only, but I haven't stayed there so I don't know much about it.

We usually stay at Cancun Palace which has some families, but not many. Mostly younger adults. It's a high energy resort.
May 7th, 2003, 10:31 AM

Well, June 11 - 18 ? I think these dates would be borderline of when school is out or not. So if school is still in which in my town it is until the 20th of June then you will not have a problem with kids at any hotel. But it is possible that some states let out earlier but I would think not that many. I am going to Cancun with my family in August and I expect plenty of kids and families because for sure all schools are out in August. I don't think you have too much to worry about.
May 7th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses! That's true, I had forgotten that school is out around that time. It'll be fun anyway.
I'll check out the Golden Crown Paradise. Thanks!
May 8th, 2003, 05:14 AM

I've considered the same hotels for a trip to Cancun and although we haven't taken the trip yet (so I can't share first hand experience), you may want to consider what part of the beach you want to be on. I believe that the JW Marriott, Le Meridien and Ritz are all in the same proximity a bit farther from the center of town, but located on a very nice large section of beach, however the surf can be a bit rougher. I think the Fiesta is closer to town (if that's important) and the beach area is smaller but still nice; however the surf is calmer (?perhaps because it's beach is on the bay ... not sure about that).

This may help your decision.
May 8th, 2003, 11:53 AM

Cher is right about the beach located from the middle of the hotel zone south. Those beaches are incredible. You do have more waves in that stretch of beach than you will where the Fiesta GCB is located. Personally, I prefer this area and the hotels better than the ones up north closer to the town of Cancun. Getting around is easy - just take the bus which runs along the hotel zone about every 2 minutes and costs 6 pesos (about 55 cents) so proximity to town doesn't have to be as much of a priority as say a good beach or hotel would be.

School is out in Texas and Oklahoma by June 1. Not having kids myself, I hadn't thought about that part. We usually go for the first time in the year around the end of June or first part of July. Then again in October/November. My belief is that the resort you choose will have more of a bearing on whether there are alot of kids there rather than the time of year. The exception being Spring Break!
May 27th, 2003, 07:13 AM

Le Meridien: less than 300 rooms, three pools, great beach, awesome food, went there last year and going back this year. Loved it.
Ritz: right next door to Le Meridien. What can you say? Its the Ritz! Very nice but much bigger than Le Meridien and the pool is very small.
JW: on the other side of Le Meridien (public beach in b/n). Looks great. We toured it and its awesome. Its gigantic so if you like big, I say go for JW. You won't regret it. If you like smaller and quiet, go Le Meridien. I would take Ritz out of the running. Both hotels will have adult crowds and all the hotels essentially have the same beach. I wouldn't stay at the FAGCB b/c I don't think its as nice as the others you're considering. Also, its in a totally different location and some like the calm water, but really, the beach was not as nice as the beaches for the other hotels. Also, although JW is huge, it and the beach never seemed crowded, while FAGCB was packed and always hard to find a quiet spot. Being close to town should not be a concern b/c the bus from the Ritz/JW/LeMeridien to the center of Cancun is about 10 minutes and to downtown Cancun is about 15-20.