Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Cancun fun for kids?? Help fodorites need your opinion.

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
First of all I know I need to put this on the other thread for Mexico and I will but so many of you regualrs have helped me out before I thought you could again.

We are thinking of going back to kauai with our kids this fall. But a friend suggest Cancun instead. Has anyone done it? We loved Kauai and consider it paradise on earth. My hubby says no way, looks way to much like hotels with a beach in front of them. We are not much for nightlife but I would love a change. As usual I thinak you for your candid opinions. If not Cancun then where?

Thanks!!!
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 05:03 PM

I love Cancun, but it's nothing like Kauai, which I hear is lush and jungley. The land there is more scrubby near the ocean.
The great thing about Cancun is the amazing white sand and incredible turquoise water. Another is the relaxed Mexican setting.
My kids love it, but they love the beach and we live in so. California, and the beach is much nicer in Cancun.
The top hotels in Cancun are also wonderful resorts...check out tripadvisor.com. The top 3 are the Ritz Carlton, the JW Marriott and the Marriott Casa Magna; I think that's pretty accurate.
And if you do go, make sure to venture downtown, away from the hotel zone, for a more Mexican feel and some very good restaurants!
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 08:34 PM
DB

><

Kauai, naahh, nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded. There's nothing to do, it rains all the time, and there are too many ~gt; .

This year we're going to Cancun, and it looks like the Crown Paradise Club is good place for kids with good food for an AI. =D>

see:
http://cancun-hotels.tripadvisor.com...Peninsula.html

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 10:50 PM

Depending on what time of year you go, Cancun nowadays is filled with kids who just want to party all the time. We went years ago and don't remember seeing very many families and children there. Again, mostly singles and couples. There is virtually nothing to do at night unless you want to go to all the local bars/clubs.
The sand and the beaches ARE amazing though, as well as some of the resort hotels and their pools.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 04:57 AM

Cancun is what you want to make it. We go there to relax, and have always been able to do so. If you want to party at night, you can do that too. I would advise against an all-inclusive, as there are many good restaurants, and if you stay in the hotel zone, you can easily get to them using the city bus. There is a lot of good information about Cancun on the Latin America forum as you might already know. There are indeed many families enjoying the Royal Resorts, the JW, the Marriott, the Meredien, and the Ritz.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 08:54 AM

Avoid Cancun during spring break, and just after graduation time, and there won't be any problem w/ drunken kids...
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 12:25 PM

After many visits, with children, over the years, I would say avoid Cancun the city and go to a resort/condo farther south, or Playa del Carmen, or Akumal. Make sure to go to Xcaret and Xel Ha ecoparks--kids find it paradise (so do I). And, a fun and educational, tho it looks hokey, thing to do is Crococun, an "eco zoo"; it's a couple-hours-of fun side trip, right on the main highway. Then take them to ruins like Chichen Itza, Coba, and Tulum; not to be missed. (The latter two are down the coast, closer to the "riviera" than to Cancun). Depending on their ages, there are wonderful guided tours of caves, and even snorkeling in caves that my kids found unforgettable. All that in between snorkeling in the lovely warm waters and playing on the beach, of course! (By the way, Playa has more reasonable good restaurants than you can count!)
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 12:28 PM

By the way, in my opinion, the Riviera Maya towns are the place to go to meet wonderful Mayan folks, eat fabulous food at great prices, and spend a whole lot less than you would in Cancun!
WE always get a car at the airport, and have never ever had a hint of a problem.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Cancun IS "hotels with a beach in front of them" your hubby is absolutely correct. It is a very developed area built up by the government for the sole purpose of encouraging tourism. There is a downtown Cancun but unfortunately too many visitors don't even go there but stay only at their resorts.

I would never compare it to the beauty of Kauai.

For Mexico on the Caribbean side, I'd fly into Cancun then go immediately south to Playa del Carmen, Akmal, Tulum, etc. Or visit the Pacific Coast side and go to Puerto Vallarta or one of the smaller towns north of there or Zijuat/Ixtapa.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 12:58 PM

Get out of Cancun and go to Playa Del Carmen, which is just a little south. It is gorgeous! Soft, sugary white sand with calm, turquoise water and lovely palm trees. 8-D

Many of the big, all-inclusive resort hotels in the Cancun and Playa del Carmen areas have "kids' clubs" which are planned activites for the kids supervised by the staff. They do arts and crafts, play sports, stage a play, etc. At all of the resorts I have visiteds in that area, there were always quite a few kids, and they seemed to have a lot of fun in the kids' clubs!

Considering the cost difference, and the length of the flights, between Mexico and Hawaii, I'd say it is certainly worth a try!
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:09 PM

ChristieP- It depends where you live! For me (Seattle) Hawaii and the west coast of Mexico are about the same distance flights. And while Mexico is cheaper once I arrive, I easily find much cheaper air fare & non stop flights to Hawaii than to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, etc.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 03:06 PM

Very true, Suze. You are the exception, though. For most of the US, it is far cheaper and a shorter flight to get to Cancun than to Hawaii. And once you're there, Mexico is a LOT less expensive than Hawaii. But I do love them both!
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:07 PM

I'd rather go to a good Cancun hotel close to the beach than one of the HUGE all inclusives further south where you have to walk a half mile to a beach that is not usually as nice as the Cancun beach, and eat mediocre food.
I haven't yet been to the Carribean, but Cancun has the most beautiful beachfront I've ever seen. (& I've been to Maui twice). And it's a great base to visit Tulum, Chichen Itza, Playa del Carmen & Isla Mujeres.
It does seem a very popular place to insult, I think because there are plenty of really bad hotels, and a lot of stereotypical bars on the top of the hotel zone...even people who've never been seem to like to insult it!
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:15 PM

We took a family vacation to Cancun one year -- we stayed at the Casa Magna. I also have to say that the beach and water were outstanding. Although I cannot compare it to Hawaii since I have never been.

We did take the bus to the shops and restaurants. I was also shocked to find out that my then 16 year old was given his first jello shot right in front of our eyes! The young waitress gave it to him and he consumed it before we even knew what it was. It didn't happen again, tho. Just giving you a "heads up"!

We also took a tour bus to Xcaret, but we did not care for the park.

If you want a relaxing vacation where you just lounge by the beach and pool, Cancun is a great option.

Good luck.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:22 PM

correction-- I said i'd never been to the Carribbean -- I meant islands! And Tulum has the most beautiful beachfront I've ever seen; Cancun comes in second for me...
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:30 PM

For better or worse Cancun proper is a very 'americanized' destination. The number of posts received on this thread on the United States board is interesting. Over on the Latin American board, with frequent travelers throughout Mexico, Cancun barely gets a nod.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 05:31 AM

Hi Momof5,

How was your recent trip to Boston and Maine/NH? Would love to hear your impressions!
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 05:48 AM

Go to Cozemel, an island just off the coast. It has some of the best coral reefs if you are into snorkling. Cancun is a tourist trap. But, if you have a car, there is ferry from cozemel to the mainland you can take. Also, I would reccomend taking the flying tour from Cozemel to Chichen Itza. You take off from Cozemel and fly to the Chichen Itza airport (a 45 minute airplane ride), then take a short bus ride to the ruins, then take a tour of the ruins which are incredible. You also fly over the ruins coming into the airport. It beats the long bus tour which is like a 5 hour bus ride. There is an international airport on the island, with Continental Airlines flying there stopping in Houston,TX and Air Mexico. Cancun is beautiful, but Cozemel is less crowded and just as good. The coral reefs are better at Cozemel.